WAG Question for coaches about keeping knees together in BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JoyAvenueMom

Proud Parent
This is simply a matter of curiosity for me. I don't want to ask Kipper's coaches b/c I don't want them to think I am meddling or doubting them. But, I really want to know. At what point do you focus on teaching a gymnast to keep their knees together during BHS series? Kipper has pretty BHS, strong and powerful and she has lengthened them out quite a bit. Her feet always start and end together, but her knees separate in flight. I have not witnessed the coaches trying to fix this...outside of one power tumbling class when she had to keep a bit of pit foam between her knees. Is this something that eventually "fixes itself", or is it just not as important as power, blocking, shaping, etc.? As a novice, I look at it and think...after doing a million handsprings incorrectly, how will she ever learn to do them right? But...I see lots of other parts getting better. I don't see practice often, and it is possible her coaches have addressed it, and I just wasn't there that day. What makes the legs split anyway? Is it flexibility-related, or just habit?

Oh I would like to know as well. P&F is a little bow legged and with her hyper-mobility has issues knowing when something is straight. I have found that she improves her form when she tightens her buttocks and rotates her legs out slightly.

I am not a coach but I can tell you that over the summer the level 4s and 5s dedicated an entire workout once per week to just the BHS - getting back to fundamentals. All aspects: body shape, legs, toes, rebound. So you can continue to "learn" proper mechanics.

My daughter was held back for 1/2 the summer because her (old) lvl 4 coach did not think her BHS was clean enough. That finally convinced her to fix her form issues. She was scoring in the nines so she thought it was 'good enough'...

not a coach, but DD who will be competing level 5 has been having privates to work on her rbhs before her meet season starts in 4 weeks. She got it last year, but it was never pretty and she is really wanting it to look/feel better now. Her coach is taking her back to the basics and working it all over again.

Handspot the BHS after tying their knees together and putting something between their knees.

They won't walk very well when tied though, which might be a good thing.

This sounds mean but when I coach BHCi put a big rubber band around there knees so they can actually feel when they are coming apart... Trust me it doesn't hurt I did it when I was a Level 3 :)

Thanks all for the great replies. Good to know this is something that can be corrected, and I am sure it will be. She has a lot of power in her BHS, can do 3 connected with a nice high back tuck at the end (on rod floor). They are getting longer as well, and seem to have a pretty shape. I just don't understand why her coaches AREN'T doing some of the drills you have described...and I am not going to ask, as much as I want to. :) I assume they are working on other pieces first, but just wanted to see if my assumption is correct. There are several girls in her group who are still working to get enough power in their 2nd BHS (L4), so she is "ahead" a bit in that area...but many of them already keep their knees together.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back