Question for coaches and parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
My dd has just changed gyms and they put her 2 days in one level and 2 days in a lower level. Now what I am wanting to know as the coaches had said to me that they want her in a group with kids her age, now I now she is getting 2 days at the level she should be at but the other 2 days the skill level is a lot lower but she is with kids her age. Now in saying that she was happy as she was the demonstrator on how to do all the skills. But I guess I am worried as she isn't going to be moving forward. Is this normal?

Can only answer as a parent, I've seen this quite a bit at our gym and this happened to my daughter, she spent two days in the lower level group and then 1 or 2 days in the higher level group - but she was sort of between the two groups in skill level. She had definitely outgrown the lower level group, but loved being with friends her own age and like your dd being the demonstrator.

At the time when watching her train with the higher level group I could see that she wasn't up to their skill level and at times she was a bit out of her depth. The girls in this group were older, and that worried me at first, but they were lovely and treated DD as an equal. DD was so thrilled to be "training with the big girls". Interestingly the coach (same for both groups) commented that she worked much harder when training with the higher level group.

I don't think that it stopped dd from moving forward, she is now full time in the higher level group. The age range is from 8-16 years, so it is a group based on ability not age. I think it really depends on the coach, in any group of girls, even of the same level there is going to be differences in their skill levels and abilities, a good coach is able to accomodate this.

well I mean it is a big change like doing tic tok on beam to L handstand, I think I would be ok if it was something similar but it is really like going back 2 levels. The thing is I was quite happy for her to do it as I thought they would all be of similar standard but they are not even close. And the other thing is she is at the standard of the higher group some things they are better at like handsprings as she has never done it before so has to learn that but other things she is better at. I am just a little worried,

well I mean it is a big change like doing tic tok on beam to L handstand, I think I would be ok if it was something similar but it is really like going back 2 levels.

Hmmmm... BIG difference in skill level, didn't realise it was that different, I think I would be a little worried too. While I understand that working on the basics is really important, I would have to wonder if she is actually learning anything in the 2 days at the lower level. Have you spoken to the coach?

Both DS and DD have been in or currently are in groups with no other gymnasts their own age, can't say that it has ever really bothered either of them. Not sure why it is important to your daughters gym that she be with her own age? How much older are the other girls?

No as we have only just started there, She has had a few months off so my thinking was that they were going to fix her shaping up from the conversation. But I think there is a conflict between the coaches on where to put her. But this one coach said oh this group of girls are her age and her ability so I was happy for her to go, but when I actually saw them, not sure what she sees but I am pretty certain they are not the same ability. I think I am going to have to talk with the manager to find out there reasoning is. I am sure they have a plan but I think I need to know what it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back