Parents Question For Coaches On Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would like to know what type of conditiong should be involved in my daughter's gymnastics classes. I am not a coach but have been a certified personal trainer but now stay home with my kids full time,. My plan is to go back to work in a year when my youngest goes to school full time. Just so everyone does not get up in arms, I have no intention of working with my own dd. I am the mom and that is all I want to be for her. She gets enough at gym.

I am asking because one of the coaches wants to work with her on a one on one basis again to increase her strength and flexibility. My list wound be what should I look for in the training for:

Core strength:
Balance:
Speed:
Jumping:
Stamina:
Leg strengh:
Upper body strength:
Flexibilty:

I am asking because I only have experience with adults so I want to make sure that what they are doing for my dd is safe for her. I was always very particular with my clients. My dd is 4 right now and will be 5 in the summer.

Physical therapist, mom and part time coach here:) Just wondering how many hours your daughter currently goes to gym class. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that a 4 (almost 5) year old needs private strength and flexibility training above and beyond what would be incorporated in her class time already:confused:

She spends 3 hours a week in class but it would be the same amout of time if she did a private because we would reduce her class time. That is what she did previously but now she is just attending class. This situation has worked out well in the past. The coaches seem to think it is a good idea and I just want to make sure that she is not doing it unnecessarily. There would be strength and flexibility training as well as the 4 gymnastics elements but my question mainly was just to make sure she wasn't doing something that she wasn't physically ready for. I haven't signed on for it again yet but my dd has done well with this half class half private situation in the past.

I think there is a thread in the Preschool forum addressing some things that preschoolers should not do. I am not a coach but I think mainly the issue is protecting their heads and backs.

My just turned 5 boy is in preteam 3 hours a week and does his conditioning in there. He also does swim team 2-3 times a week. I think it's a good age appropriate cross training situation. ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back