WAG Question for Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mama2JLN

Proud Parent
DD (6) is competing L4 this year. They spent the summer working drills and prepping for ROBHS. A few weeks before the first meet, her coaches determined that she was ready to try without a spot and did well. She competed it at that meet in November with good form. Since the rest of her team is still struggling with this skill, the coaches are still spotting. They are also still spotting DD. in doing so, I think they have undermined her confidence. Now, she wants a spot whereas before, she loved being able to them without a spot. What might be the rationale for still spotting her when she has shown that she is capable of doing them well without a spot? I have not spoken to her coaches about this, but I am hoping to at her next practice. Thanks!

The only reason I can see for spotting when she has it by herself is fixing the form, which you already said was good. So, as a coach, I can't see logic in this. Some kids will move faster than others in this sport. I think everyone should be encouraged to excel at her own pace and never held back. BUT I dont know your daughter or her coaches. The very best thing you can do is talk to them if you have a question/concern.

Coaches often keep spotting in order to reinforce good body shapes, being able to do a RO BHS is not the same as having perfected it. When a coach spots it is because they are trying to get a child to do a skill a certain way. It is very, very normal. It is a very, very good thing. a strong RO BHS is a very, very important skill and done poorly it can impact a gymnasts progression for years. Sounds like you have some great coaches and they may see small things that you do not see that they can fix. BUt feel free to chat with the coaches about it, it is good to know why.

Coaches often keep spotting in order to reinforce good body shapes, being able to do a RO BHS is not the same as having perfected it. When a coach spots it is because they are trying to get a child to do a skill a certain way. It is very, very normal. It is a very, very good thing. a strong RO BHS is a very, very important skill and done poorly it can impact a gymnasts progression for years. Sounds like you have some great coaches and they may see small things that you do not see that they can fix. BUt feel free to chat with the coaches about it, it is good to know why.

Just to emphasize the underlined. My oldest gymmie is paying the price for this, and let me tell you, IT SUCKS.

My guess is the same as the above posters, that the coaches are not spotting because she can't do it on her own, but to correct all of the little details involved in doing a bhs correctly. But I would encourage you to discuss with them what their intentions are. There is a time to step back and make the needed corrections from afar, but it's best to get a solid foundation first. It's possible they don't realize it's negatively impacting your DD's confidence, but if you make them aware of that they might be willing to work out something that works best for your DD.

Thank you for your insight, everyone. It just seemed that she was no longer confident that she could do them well enough alone since they would spot during practice and ask if she wanted a spot when running through her routine. She used to say no, but recently she's been asking for the spot. They don't really even touch her, but I'm afraid she's not going to have the confidence to do it alone anymore.

I will talk to her coaches and see what they have to say. I hadn't considered that they were making form corrections, so that may be it. Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back