WAG [Question for other coaches] Front Handspring Vault Board Placement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach.Simon

Coach
Judge
Hello other coaches (athletes are also welcome to add their input!)

I am just curious. I have friends who coach at three other major gyms in my area, while I coach at the fourth. All of us are team coaches and we have a vault/front handspring level.

We all disagree with the board placement on how far back it should be.

Our placements range from 1' to as far as 3' away from the table.

I personally move the board from 1'6" to 2'6" based on the size/height/power of the athlete, but some of my fellow coaches do not move their board based on their athlete's size or strength (which I find interesting.)

What are your thoughts and preferences on board placement for front handsprings? I am wondering if there is some golden rule that we are all in the dark about.

It's good to be posting back on this forum again, I've been away for far too long!

tl;dr - How far do you put the board away from the table when you have your girls do front handsprings? If you're an athlete, how far is your board typically?

I had the board at 2' away when I did front handsprings.
For yurchenkos my coach has the board at 1' away for all of us regardless of size and power with the sting/hand placement mat right up against it vertically. If I had a choice I'd change it for myself and a few teammates and change a couple other things (he makes us all vault on the same height setting, but I'd want it higher like I had it a couple years ago at another gym), but it is what it is.
I don't think there's a "golden rule" per-say, but there is a typical range between 1" and 3" for all vaults so I think you're all good.
To the best of my understanding closer makes taller or more powerful gymnasts have to turn over faster and helps smaller gymnasts get to the table, while further gives taller gymnasts space to turn over and forces smaller gymnasts to learn to run faster and generate more power.

Further also allows less powerful gymnasts more time to turn over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back