Parents Question for you all

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry! Sent before I was done!! Anyway, she started like your DD very early. My biggest concern was her age and the time commitment. The money was a big thing too but her siblings have always been active in sports and if she wanted gymnastics, we felt we should provide the opportunity. She was 4 when she started training 3 and started competing 3 right after her 5th bday. She never had a single day of not wanting to go or being too tired or anything. She had other gymnast friends her age that were doing preteam at the time and having complete melt downs. Honestly, I keep expecting it still because it still happens with her friends who have since moved to team. My DD goes 12 hours a week now and is 6, no problems so far. I agree it effects the entire family. Dragging her siblings to practices & meets, they don't love it but they know she's had to watch them all her life, so fairs fair. I think with your DD, it isn't an unreasonable amount of time to practice and if she really loves it, then yay! If my DD quit tomorrow, yes I would be sad because I feel this is a God given talent but it would be her decision and I also know that the flexibility & strength will help her in any other sport she chooses to try! So, no regrets!! I hope your DD just loves every minute of it and you too!!

Time and $$ are big commitments, but the main reason DD is in gymnastics is because she likes it. I also like how physically fit she is!!! Not many parents can say their 7 year old has 6-pack abs! I also believe in keeping kids busy. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. ;)

It's been a while since I have been on here. My girls have both moved on. Do I have a single regret about letting them follow their passion at the gym (at the time) and quit--NONE-not a single regret. Was it expensive-yes, was it time consuming-yes, do I look back and say we loved every minute of it-YES! My oldest started gymanstics and quickly moved to level 4. She competed for 2 years and moved on to other sports. She is now an excellent volleyball player and she plays it year round. Little bit was also on the team and competed starting at level 3, (she competed 4 years) she now shines in musical theatre--is currently Scuttle in The Little Mermaid, and was Annie a few months ago. I think gymnastics gave both of my girls the confidence, body awareness, strength, and discipline to follow their passions. Enjoy the ride, but look at it realistically. It is a family committment, but so is any competitive sport or activity. She may stay in gym a year or a few, but either way, it's worth it.

It is more of a time and money commitment than you may realize. Can you get them to give you the current fees/hours for each level?

So great that you are asking questions! We had a booster club meeting the other night and we had 2-3 new parents who were totally shocked by what was required. One mom thought she only needed to pay for the monthly tuition. She had no idea she would have meet fees, assessments, leotards and so on that she would have to pay for. Another dad was shocked to find out that the parents are required to work at the 3 meets that our gym hosts. It is always best to ask all of the questions up front and be aware that something might pop up later (travel expenses, team parent shirts, things like that, that don't get figured into gym costs). The time commitment is a BIG deal too. For us, we have to drive an hour each way so on top of the 3 hour practice we have 2 in travel time. It wears on us but there are literally no other options for us. We do it because she loves it, but you better believe that we sat her down and let her know that the moment she stops putting forth effort, she would be done. So far she has been full on and loving it and as a result, even her brother and sister don't mind the sacrifice.

Make sure your DH is on board. It won't be very pleasant if your husband is against it. It requires too much of the family for you to make the decision without his support.

Well as someone who has been in and around this sport for over 15 years, my advice to you is to hang on to your wallet! Both my girls are/were successful Level 10s , with the oldest off doing gymnastics in college and the youngest headed down the same path...
It has been their passion and they have thrived in the environment and I have been fortunate to have been along for the ride:)

My daughter has been competing for 6 years. I don't regret letting her compete, but I do regret some decisions we've made along the way. She has always enjoyed gym even with some injuries and frustrations, and it keeps her focused, active, and gives her a great group of friends to hang out with daily!
My bank accounts regret it a lot, however...

dd is 7 and entering her second year of competition. She started rec classes at almost 4, and moved quickly into pre-team. The costs (financial and time) have increased each year. Now ds age 9 has also moved from rec to pre-team, and now team, so those costs are adding up quickly as well.

We tell all our kids that you must be in one active sport. Doesn't matter which, you can choose. Doesn't have to be team, but must keep you moving. Both have (so far) chosen gymnastics, and are not happy with simply rec classes, so we've allowed them to continue on the team track. If they want to quit, I'll be sad for them, as I think there are lots of additional skills, as well as life lessons to be learned. But I'm not expecting college scholarships for them out of this...

Financially, we are still managing this year, but I can see it becoming a problem in the next year/level or so. I will need to go back to work if they continue, in order to keep up with monthly tuition more than just the meet fees. This has been weighing heavily on my mind lately as we are moving into our first year homeschooling, so my available time to work some hours is decreasing.

I wanted to talk again about the cost. Some costs can't be avoided but a lot of gymnastics you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want. Some people buy a new leo or t-shirt at every meet. Some people do numerous private lessons. Some people always get a hotel room no matter how close the meet is, etc.

I rarely buy new leotards, let them pick 1 item PER YEAR from a meet (don't worry they get plenty of free goodies from meets), rarely do privates, carpool to practices as well as meets, share hotel rooms, pack food, etc. It is still expensive yes, but not nearly as if I went the other route.

Edited to say that I do these things because with 2 in the sport for what appears to be the long haul I anticipate a steep rise in expenses - why spend excess at the low levels, when the upper levels require much more. Save it while you can.

I wanted to talk again about the cost. Some costs can't be avoided but a lot of gymnastics you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want. Some people buy a new leo or t-shirt at every meet. Some people do numerous private lessons. Some people always get a hotel room no matter how close the meet is, etc.

I rarely buy new leotards, let them pick 1 item PER YEAR from a meet (don't worry they get plenty of free goodies from meets), rarely do privates, carpool to practices as well as meets, share hotel rooms, pack food, etc. It is still expensive yes, but not nearly as if I went the other route.

Edited to say that I do these things because with 2 in the sport for what appears to be the long haul I anticipate a steep rise in expenses - why spend excess at the low levels, when the upper levels require much more. Save it while you can.

I agree we have two in the sport as well. If we make it to state- we get a state shirt. IF the meet is drivable in one day we opt not to stay over night. This saves on hotel fee and boarding the dog fee as well. In the last 3-4 years, we've only have done 2 privates which were requested by the coach because one on one was needed to get the skill.

Keep in mind, too, that the time goes by very quickly! My DD was 6 when she was recruited for Team. I remember talking to a coach, and her telling me what to expect. x amount of dollars and hours, and I was thinking "that doesn't matter, it is FOREVER away". Fast forward 3 years, she is a optional and the money is pouring out, lol. It goes quick, is all I am saying...

My little one just was just moved to the level 2 team. I was very nervous and unsure the first couple of practices, because she is the youngest, and the amount of maturity needed, but she's right up there with the rest of them and to see them grow in every way is worth it to me! Good luck!!

We just sort of fell into it over time. I thought for sure my DD would be into dance/drama as she is very graceful, flexible, and loves to perform, but she got bit by the gym bug big time! She was taking just a rec class to burn off some excess energy. They asked if she could move up to their advanced Kindergarten team and then she was on Hot Shots in 1st grade. It just progressed from there.

She is my only child who is competitive. My oldest DD takes guitar and my son does a school sport so it's easier I suppose. She is my youngest as well.

It IS a big time and financial commitment. I wouldn't regret if DD quit although I'd be admittedly sad. It has been great for building friendships and she has been successful.

There are parents who help at the gym, running the website, organizing summer camp, cleaning the gym, etc. My guess is they get discounted tuition then. AND if you have a few kids there at a time (once they are older) it's a good way to pass time, I suppose ;) Just an idea to help with costs if it comes to all your children being involved with gymnastics team in the future!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back