Parents Question (Elite Gymnastics Age Change)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ty’s Dad

Proud Parent
Has anyone else heard, after the Olympics the senior elite age will be changed? My daughter told us that she will be a Junior again next season, but we haven’t seen or heard anything. Just asking if anyone else heard anything

Is it true that they had a really hard time qualifying Jr. girls this year? I just have a friend who has a daughter that attends camps and said that? Just curious

Yes earlier this year, some federations (European) are apparently pre-preparing assuming it will go ahead. Some assumed the US was aware due to the low number of athletes trying junior elite this year but equally that is not uncommon in an Olympic year.

Yes earlier this year, some federations (European) are apparently pre-preparing assuming it will go ahead. Some assumed the US was aware due to the low number of athletes trying junior elite this year but equally that is not uncommon in an Olympic year.
I heard it was from the low Jr elites qualifying, it was a lot that tried. My daughter was just told on Tues so I guess the US had to know, just not announcing it yet

Here is the reddit thread...

I love this. I think that Simone's age with her constantly increasing difficulty really encourages this conversation of "why so early" with these very, very young girls. Gabby making a comeback this many years later. Chelsea Memmel's legitimate attempted comeback after 2 children. Oksana Chusovitina always needs to be a part of this conversation, even though she "only" does one event. In addition to the FIG ages, I want to see USAG raise minimum age limits in the DP program. Eliminate Hopes, or at minimum raise the age. Slow the girls down a bit intentionally. I'm not even talking too crazy here. But reign in some of these overzealous coaches but DIScouraging the race to 10 or elite. Why is the minimum age for level 10 set at age 9? Who needs to be level 10 by age 9? No one. Not a one. Why not 12 or 13 or even 14? I think 12 is still too young, but that seems more reasonable than age 9.

I love this. I think that Simone's age with her constantly increasing difficulty really encourages this conversation of "why so early" with these very, very young girls. Gabby making a comeback this many years later. Chelsea Memmel's legitimate attempted comeback after 2 children. Oksana Chusovitina always needs to be a part of this conversation, even though she "only" does one event. In addition to the FIG ages, I want to see USAG raise minimum age limits in the DP program. Eliminate Hopes, or at minimum raise the age. Slow the girls down a bit intentionally. I'm not even talking too crazy here. But reign in some of these overzealous coaches but DIScouraging the race to 10 or elite. Why is the minimum age for level 10 set at age 9? Who needs to be level 10 by age 9? No one. Not a one. Why not 12 or 13 or even 14? I think 12 is still too young, but that seems more reasonable than age 9.
Interestingly, our gym just raised the age for level 7 (that's when DP starts at our gym, Xcel before that) to age 12. They do not want to deal with scoring out of the younger kiddos and after studying other successful programs around the country have decided to make the shift starting next season. My daughter is 10 and was preparing for either level 6 or level 7 but is now going to Platinum until the following year. Some parents are unhappy but we'll see what happens.

Interestingly, our gym just raised the age for level 7 (that's when DP starts at our gym, Xcel before that) to age 12. They do not want to deal with scoring out of the younger kiddos and after studying other successful programs around the country have decided to make the shift starting next season. My daughter is 10 and was preparing for either level 6 or level 7 but is now going to Platinum until the following year. Some parents are unhappy but we'll see what happens.
Interesting! I wonder what programs they looked at and what they found to be the benefit. Keep us posted, hope your daughter has a great season

My daughter (10) is doing the same. Her gym is small and they probably won't have enough girls for a level 5 or 6 team next season. She's got level 7 skills on everything but bars, so they're just having her do platinum instead of having to stay in compulsory where she would have less flexibility in her routines. The goal is to have her in level 7 the following year, so I think it makes sense.

So interesting and yet TOPS is for 8-10 yr olds and requires skills equal to level 7 or maybe even 8 (I'm not well versed in the skills of each level).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back