WAG Questions on Floor Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GYM0M

Proud Parent
DD selected floor music from a list her coaches recommended. So excited for her as we are starting her choreography over spring break, which gives her about 9 months to perfect it before she competes it! My question is do you share selections with friends from other gyms that are usually in your child's age division? My background is in dance & debuting music selections and routines is forbidden before the week before competition! Is it the same for gymnastics? DD will be competing L6/L7 in December.

Honestly, I don't think it matters too much.
I do know that it helped to know what other girls were using when OG first went to Xcel Gold. She didn't compete until mid-season and decided not to use her first music choice after HC told us she heard that SAME music (just slightly different cuts of it) 6 times in the one Invitational we went to that year.
Everyone wants to be as unique as possible with their floor music as far as I can tell. If your DD got her music first, maybe others will decide to shy away from it :)

I've never heard of anyone hiding their music selection, but I guess I can see why you might be concerned....? Honestly, unless their music is very obscure/original, there's a decent chance that you might hear your DD's music at a meet. No biggie.

Hearing the same music at meets isnt too bad for non-compulsary levels, but I know I cant be the only one that gets sick of the music at the end of the day for compulsary meets lol...that night I cant get that music out of my head and my DD is only in L2 lol.

At one meet the girl who went right before me had the exact same music that I did. I got a score in the same score range I usually got, but it seemed like a big deal in the 90 seconds of her floor routine before I had to go.

At one meet the girl who went right before me had the exact same music that I did. I got a score in the same score range I usually got, but it seemed like a big deal in the 90 seconds of her floor routine before I had to go.

Why? Usually most things you hear like 5-6 times in a weekend. Whatever was good from Floor Express that year.

The way we look at it, as long as someone in our own gym doesn't have the music, we are fine with it... but since I cut the majority of the music for our girls, we rarely hear the exact same music at a meet (and only girls who went with the "popular" selections of the year). This year, we only have 1 girl with music we heard at another meet... but the other girl that had it was using the 1:30 version and our girl had a 1:10 version, so a little different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back