Questions to ask when checking out a new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We currently live in a rural area and there were really only 2 gyms to pick from so I didn't really ask many questions. We will be moving to Texas next month and I need to start making a few phone calls to gyms in the area. Dd is a second year L5 with some back tumbling fear issues she has been working on.

So, what type of questions would you ask when checking out a new gym other than the obvious ones about hours and costs?

Personally, i would ask
How many high level optional level gymnasts do you have?
- This can (not always) give you an indication on either its priorities (e.g. solid basics or get to the highest level you can) or in some cases coaching and whether or not they burn kids out (if there are quite a few optionals then burning out isn't (normally) a problem

Do you consider yourself an optionals gym or a compulsory gym?

How do you gymnasts generally place at competitions?

What are your goals as a gym? (e.g. produce Olympians, Elite, create a happy healthy child etc)

How do your coaches handle mental blocks/fear?

Are your coaches safety certified
Does anyone on your team staff have a dance background
What is their focus on ... teamwork or individual
How long has their current staff been with them? In other words, turnover?

Finally, what can you do for my child? Remember, you are the consumer

What is the adverage coach to gymnast ratio?

Also when you have it narrowed down to a few go visit them, watch part of the class if allowed and see what it looks like, see if the coaching and equiptment look safe. Because you can ask as much as you would like but if they have a high turnover, too many kids to a coach, unsafe coaching or equiptment do you really think they are going to tell you that over the phone?

Then when you have it down to 2 or 3 ask if your dd can try a class. Most gyms offer 1 free trial class.

I don't know that you'll get alot of info over the phone--certainly cost, amount of practice, number of girls on a team/number of coaches. You can look up state meet results on the TX website or mymeetscores. You could ask to leave your name/phone and have one of the compulsory coaches call you back. Some gyms will/some won't---just suggest you bring dd in.

Honestly most of the work will be done once you get to TX and can determine which gyms are within driving distance and you can take dd to for a trial team practice. Since she is dealing with the back tumbling fear, that would be one of my 1st questions---how do they deal with it? Also want to know about a booster club/fundraising. A gym that sounds great on the phone may not be the one that you like when you actually go in to check it out.

if you are moving to the Dallas/ Fort Worth area then check out WOGA!!!! Nastia Liukin and Carly Patterson come from there. I used to train there and I havent had good coaching since I left there 2 years ago! I dont know how hard it is to get into there but if she is a level 5 then it should be easy! you can ask them how they coach. i regret not asking my new gym about how they did certain things! WOGA is good but when you get higher up it doesnt come cheap but it is well worth it!!!!! :) :)

Personal i would look it the woga gyms there are 3 in texas 1 in plano and another in dallas and frisco texas. Valeria Liukin mad all around gymnast out of carly, nastia and most likely rebecca in 2012. I wanted to move to texas to train there but i habe 19 brothers and sisters so alot of responiblitys here in ny.

Personal i would look it the woga gyms there are 3 in texas 1 in plano and another in dallas and frisco texas. Valeria Liukin mad all around gymnast out of carly, nastia and most likely rebecca in 2012. I wanted to move to texas to train there but i habe 19 brothers and sisters so alot of responiblitys here in ny.

19?? Oh my........ :eek: :eek: :eek:

As much as I would love to look at WOGA, they are on the North side of Dallas and we will be on the south side of Fort Worth so the drive would be in excess of an hour each way in traffic. I've spent 2 1/2 years going to a gym with a long drive (50 minutes) and I'm ready for someplace closer to home as long as it's a quality gym.

How old is your daughter? In a super competitive area like the one you're looking at some of the top gyms may be looking for younger girls who are top competitors (under 10/11 for the compulsory levels). My understanding is that it's very difficult to get on WOGA's team anyway, and if the child has a fear issue on the RO BHS it may be an issue, if she wants to compete USAG rather than rec at a gym like that. This is not to insinuate your daughter doesn't have potential, but I would just keep that in mind. My understanding is it isn't like some areas where basically joining a gym is just a matter of enrolling. Some of the top gyms have high demand for their team spots so it's actually a competitive endeavor.

I definitly agree look at the gym close to your vicinity unless your daughter is going to be elite which most of ours are not it is just not worth the time and travel money. Hopefully there is a a lot to choose from. I would ask ratio how many girls are on the team parent booster clubs and where would they place your daughter do they have a spot for her on the team, then I would find talk to your daughter and find out what does she want from a new gym, would she like to stay in USAG at the level she is now and be in a more competive envirmonment how much does she want to practice or does she want to do more of a recreation or Prep and possible try other activites. She maybe at the age where she wants try other things. I know my daughter is kind of at that crossroads now where she loves gymnastics but she wants to try other stuff. Unfortanetly at her gym they do not have a recreation team and she loves her gym and her team and is not willing to give it up. So I am trying to work around her gym schedule which is hard, she likes other stuff but gymnastics is her favorite. If I had to move I would definitely look into less competitve which would allow her to do more school activites. I would also try out a couple and find out where she likes and where she feels confortable.

Dd is 11 1/2 so I know she is "too old" for the high profile gyms (WOGA, Texas Dreams). I personally would rather go to a quality small gym than one that is huge and highly competitive. I'm more concerned with a gym that is willing to help her work though her fears, fix her bad habits and help keep that gymnastics is fun spark alive.

This move is scary for her and she is undecided if she wants to stay USAG and remain L5 for a third season. (By the time we arrive, Texas will already by done with their USAG season and it will too late to register for the TAAF season). She may decide to switch to a less strict type of competitive gymnastics or just become a class kid.

I think you very clearly stated your DD's goals right here:)! Now you just need to explain those goals to the gyms that will meet your driving limits. Then see which ones sound like a good fit. Hopefully you will have a few to choose from. Narrow it down by trying them out once you get to TX. That way your DD can see where she feels the most comfortable.

Not every gymnast has olympic dreams, most just do it for the love of it:)! I think your goals for your DD are clear & realistic. There HAS to be a good gym fit for her out there in TX:D!

Continuing in the sport may be a good source of comfort to her during the change & adjustments of the move. It was for my DD:). Good luck!!! Hope the move goes smoothly for your family & TX feels like "home" in no time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back