Quick meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD had her 2nd level 4 meet and did great! She again won 1st AA with her score right under a 38 this time. She also won 1st on 2 events and was 2nd and 3rd on the other 2. I was so proud of her for having some little mistakes on 2 events (the 2 she won ironically) and not letting it rattle her and staying composed. I was most pleased with her floor routine because she did a much better routine than last meet. Same score, but I don't care about scores. She did everything her coach worked to fix.

So proud of DD! I never dreamed she'd ever win the AA much less do it 2 meets in a row!

Great meet!!! I agree with TQM--with scores like that, why not give her a challenge and move her up a level?! Congrats to your dd!

Wow gre
at meet............ I agree it seems like she could use a challenge. Scores that high
e unheard of here in MN. Seems like she needs to head to level 5.

She actually is in level 5 already and has been since February, but unfortunately she's only 6 and won't be 7 before the end of the season. Though I do have to say even if she were old enough to compete level 5, she just isn't quite competition ready on bars and vault. She has all her bar skills and can even sometimes connect them, but they aren't always pretty and are far from consistent. Vault is very hard for her, but she has made a lot of improvement lately. I think when she is old enough she will be ready. So it ended up being a blessing that she wasnt old enough to actually compete level 5. I'd always rather she be really prepared for the level she is competing especially since she's so young. No rush.
Her coaches have talked about having her score out of 5 and try for 6 next season, but I'm totally against the idea. I don't think she can do it, nor do I see a reason for it.

Wow, that's an awesome AA! Just curious if your DD is in Level 4 Novice or L4 Open (or if that's something we only have here in NJ?)

Congrats to her! Sounds like she will be more than ready for level 5 when she turns 7!

What a great 2nd meet for your DD. Sounds like she is off to a fantastic start

Congratulations! Keep up the good work! :) It is very nice when everything they have learned in the gym clicks and they carry over their skills to the competition!

sorry can I hyjack this thread and ask what AA means ? Also I asume the score is out of a certain amount ? Sounds like shes doing well.

'Margo

sorry can I hyjack this thread and ask what AA means ? Also I asume the score is out of a certain amount ? Sounds like shes doing well.

'Margo

AA stands for All- Around score. It is the total score when you add the scores from each individual event. 40 is the highest you can get in the compulsorys.

Well done to her! Is this the same dd who has a private lesson on bars every week? If so I certainly hope that she took 1 st on bars. LOL. I am surprised that you are suprised she is winning. I'm sure she will place top 3 at least at the rest of her meets. She is doing really well.

Well done to her! Is this the same dd who has a private lesson on bars every week? If so I certainly hope that she took 1 st on bars. LOL. I am surprised that you are suprised she is winning. I'm sure she will place top 3 at least at the rest of her meets. She is doing really well.

Yes she does a 30 minute private on bars per week. I would never expect her to win bars or any other event just because she has a private on that event. I'm not paying so she can win an event, just to help her and because she enjoys it. Her privates just started 2 weeks ago and they are on L5 bars, not L4, jumping to the high bar specifically. In May she had a fall jumping to the high bar and hyper extended her elbow which really gave her some fear with that jump. It doesn't help that she's tiny and the coaches won't move the bars for her during practice and I don't expect them to. So that 30 minutes is well spent giving her some confidence in making that giant leap for a tiny kid. The coach will set the bars as close as possible for her and that has been a great help for her confidence. She would most definitely not be winning L5 bars if she were competing L5. She'd be in the 7 range on bars for L5. Definitely she has a ton of work to do and a long way to go.

I'm perfectly aware that she's doing great at L4 and that she's capable of winning at every meet she enters, but capability and actually doing it are two different things. There are many girls that are capable of winning, so yes I am surprised and thrilled when she delivers at the right moment and ends up actually winning. There will be meets where she doesn't hit or someone else is just better that day. All part of competing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back