Coaches Recreation Skill Charts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question for you all. Do you use skill charts with your rec classes? We are trying to use them, but the way they are set up is not conducive for our gym. See, we register per quarter (12 weeks) instead of monthly, and we typically have high number of change of kids at the beginning of each quarter. We have poster board up with the skills for each "rec level" and they put stars on them at the end of each class. The parents love them, since they can go over and see what their child is working on and what they have accomplished. However, at the end of each quarter, I'm basically having to redo the entire chart and restar them etc. We do not have much (well any) wall space and I'm stuck for ideas. Right now each level (preschool, primary, girls rec) has their own chart for each event.
Way too wordy I know... but I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else out there does skill charts in their gym and any methods they've found that works for them.
Thanks!
Melissa

We use skill charts. The charts are given to the parents and the gymnasts are given the stars to add on to their chart as they get skills. (So each gymnast has their own chart to take home) The teachers all keep the records (one page for each class) and check off the skills as each child passes the skill. They keep the same skill chart until they pass their level (earn stars for every skill).

They have badge books, each child has their own and they work through the badges, each badge will have 8 things on it, 2 from each apparatus, and each badge has progression to the next, e.g forward roll on low beam badge X then on high beam for badge Y. We test every 5 weeks and then each child gets a sheet showing what they've passed off that term and what they still have left.

Our gymnasts work towards badges (BG designed). Each one has 10 skills on and the gymnasts have to achieve 6/10 (only we make ours get 8 as we found 6 was too easy)
Each term we print out an a4 chart for each group with any of the 'ticks' which they achieved last term (if any) printed on them.
on week 8 of term I take all of the charts home and print the badge passed slips for those who have finished, on week 9 they receive their slips, pay for them on week 10/11 and receive them on week 12 at a presentation/display.
I don't put any charts on the wall or use stickers. Each term the children get a chart to take home with them so that their parents know what they are working on.
It is a lot of work each term, but if you spread it out over 4 weeks or so it's not so bad!

Our system sounds similar to gymtigersmom's. Each level of rec has a list of 23 skills, they need to get 21 skills to move up to the next level. We have a master binder (One not full of women), and the coach's fill in as the kids get skills. Since this is a fairly new thing, can't say yet how well it will end up working. We don't have sessions though, it goes month by month. So it makes it easier then having a big change every 12 or so weeks.

When your program is small, you can make one mega chart with a bunch of names and just update it with stars.

Not something you can do when you have a few hundred rec kids. Send them home with their own charts. Update once a month or every 3 weeks. Pass out numbers and stars they can do on their own.

We often who take a polaroid of them in the gym they could place on their chart.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back