Parents Repeat L7 or move up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastmom05, I would guess that even the posters above who said leave it to the coaches would be fine with parents approaching coaches if there are particular individual concerns, especially if these are things to which the coaches are not privy (school workload, issues at home, emotional stability, etc.). The point on which I'm seeing hearty agreement is that NOW is not the time for these conversations.

New York Level 7 state meet, per their state website, is April 6-8.

As for the OP's question, I really can't see a sensible answer beyond "if they have up-to-level skills consistently for L8 by the start of the 2018-19 season, have them compete L8 and if not, have them repeat L7." Am I missing something? If the point of the question is to get us all to say there is no real value in holding girls back as a general rule so they can win the L7 Olympics, I think we can all agree on that. At least some of the girls will likely have trouble getting their pirouettes, flipping vaults, and/or beam acros, so the issue should resolve itself.

I honestly leave the moving up to the coach and my daughter. Think since we moved up from l4 to l7 the moms feel as if we were rushed and there kids aren't ready even now.
I am the odd man out in the group so I just keep my mouth shut lol. They feel their daughters are young enough it doesn't matter to repeat

nycgymmom -

I should have been more specific - your approach is the right one and I commend you for not buying into the "stuff" the other moms are putting out there.

While I do believe that there are opportunities and situations where parent input is required, I don't believe that assessing skill readiness to move is one of those places. Through all our years in this sport (14 years thru level 10), we never questioned the coach's assessment of our dd's readiness to move up a level. There were times where we had to think hard about the time and dollar committment, but that was not a discussion of skill readiness.

And further, I definitely agree that this is not the time to be worrying about this topic. Get thru the end of the season and see where things stand at the end of the summer.

Good Luck.

I remember your post way back about the group going from L4 to L7. That’s a big jump with a lot of fundamentals being missed by not competing L5. Sure, there are plenty of talented kids that do that successfully but I was suspect then that the ENTIRE group was ready for L7. I guess if they aren’t consistent with L7 skills this late in the season then they may not have been ready for 7. I think it’s silly that a move up to L8 would be part of the conversation if they are still not consistent with L7 skills. I usually think parents should defer to the coach on the level decision but you’ve shared enough about your gym here that I think I’d be thinking the same if my kid were at your gym. Is there some reason to think a move up to L8 is in the cards?

I remember your post way back about the group going from L4 to L7. That’s a big jump with a lot of fundamentals being missed by not competing L5. Sure, there are plenty of talented kids that do that successfully but I was suspect then that the ENTIRE group was ready for L7. I guess if they aren’t consistent with L7 skills this late in the season then they may not have been ready for 7. I think it’s silly that a move up to L8 would be part of the conversation if they are still not consistent with L7 skills. I usually think parents should defer to the coach on the level decision but you’ve shared enough about your gym here that I think I’d be thinking the same if my kid were at your gym. Is there some reason to think a move up to L8 is in the cards?
I think the jump from 4-7 might be the huge factor as to why the OP has a group of moms discussing this now. It could very well be that they’re struggling and I don’t think they’re crazy if they’re concerned that they’re going to be pushed up again. I think it’s reasonable to ask what the coach is thinking. Maybe they’re already thinking they’ll compete 7 again and all the worry is for nothing?! I know our 4’s scored out of 5 and went to 6 this season and our HC told a group of level 6 moms (we were meeting for an event we’re hosting) that he is assuming only 3 will be moving up to 7. I will say we went to meets this season and saw teams that really were out of their league for Level 7. Not meaning to be mean but my sister (ex gymnast) went to one travel meet and commented about one team as to why they were competing as 7’s because they did not have the skills (bars and beam most specifically). They were just crushed by the competition. That can’t feel good to see meet after meet and I wouldn’t think any parent was nuts to ask what the plan for next season is.

I honestly leave the moving up to the coach and my daughter. Think since we moved up from l4 to l7 the moms feel as if we were rushed and there kids aren't ready even now.
I am the odd man out in the group so I just keep my mouth shut lol. They feel their daughters are young enough it doesn't matter to repeat
If I had a specific concern I’m never afraid to discuss it with her coaches.

And tis the season of parents getting ahead of themselves. When this kind of talk happens at our gym anytime before a dent has been made on summer training.

I pretty much look at the other parents and say. Haven’t we all been here done that before. Let’s just see how summer goes and see where the girls are at the end of August or September. And remember what coach says. It’s about skills not level.

Yup you hit nail on the head and your suspicious were correct. Only very few are consistent. How l8 came up was in conversation it was said wow states is around the corner then following was yea then we start l8 training

it was said wow states is around the corner then following was yea then we start l8 training
I can’t speak for your gym.

But our gym. There is always an eye toward the future and up training.

I would expect all level 7s at nearly all gyms to begin training towards L8 after their State meets.

At our gym all 6 and 7 girls, will be full in uptraining 8 skills and drilling 9 skills. The practice after States What level they will actually be remains to be seen.

I can’t speak for your gym.

But our gym. There is always an eye toward the future and up training.

I would expect all level 7s at nearly all gyms to begin training towards L8 after their State meets.

At our gym all 6 and 7 girls, will be full in uptraining 8 skills and drilling 9 skills. The practice after States What level they will actually be remains to be seen.
Same in our and I think that is were the panic set in

At our gym (and I can only speak for the boys), the coaches make the decision about what level the boys are competing. If there is a boy on the bubble, they will frequently bring in the parents to discuss the pros and cons of each level. Otherwise, we get an email letting us know :)

Same in our and I think that is were the panic set in
I’m of the don’t waste good worry time set. Take a deep breaths and ponder/worry at the end of summer. :D

I’d say that to any parent at this point. And have been known to say it to self this time of year in the past.:cool:

You just never know, I've seen multiple girls do better in level 8 than they did in level 7 with no repeats. I was shocked that my dd went level 8 this year after being out most of the summer due to an injury. The coach knew better and obviously could see that she was ok in moving up. Due to my dd being out in the summer the first few meets weren't great, not bad but not great either. Now she is up to par with the rest of the team and up training for level 9! This is why I keep my thoughts to myself. :)

Although I could see why your group is worried, since the girls were only level 4 last year.

Are we at the same gym? :) My daughter's group made the 4-7 jump as well. There is a (large) group of parents who are not adjusting well to not sweeping competitions the same way the girls did in compulories, and are increasingly grumbling about the fact they are doing any uptraining at all during season. I think some will try and insist that their girls repeat 7, in order to medal more. They want them to water down their 7 skills, and not work on any 8 skills until the season is over.

I have never known our gym to take into account parent requests on levels, so post season should be interesting. As our head coach says, he is not training level 7s, he is training future level 10s. I keep my mouth shut as well when the chattering starts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back