DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Rings seems to be a weak event for a lot of my compulsory boys this year, and it seems to be more due to swings than strength.

Also, I have a specific level 6 for whom the concept of turning over his swings (particularly in the front) just doesn't seem to be clicking -- despite the fact that everything else I throw at him seems to come very quickly.

Thoughts?

Just one quick thought. I used to have the guys hold a tight body and just start with the hand turns until they feel themselves start to swing. After that I would shape them through the shoulders and abs until the swings got better. This worked really well with one particular kid we had that was quite large. He was a great tumbler but really couldn't do the other events.

Spend more time doing smaller swings, where the focus is on the check contraction, and the pull push back on the rings (clearly shoulder flex is important here BIG time). However spending time doing 100 smaller swings like this (with shoes or ankle weights on) should help him understand the quick turnover of the feet.

Thing is i feel i could help, but i don't think i can explain it well enough haha to make sense. I personally just spot it a bit, teach the check contraction in swinging to candle, and to stop them from pushing their chest out on the pull back ( i have them lay down in candle with me holding their feet, and i have them push against the ground as hard as possible, for long period of time (10sec lets say), and as they start to push the chest out i make them pull it back in, and they understand how to do one without the other.
That seems to work. More importantly thought i spend time with back turnover. Because doing dislocates is considerably easier to develop, plus as they get older its easier to develop the front as its not really that hard. This is one area that i choose to do enough to do well at meet and develop good enough understanding without spending a great deal of time. (with younger guys).

Doubt that any of this is new b

Spend more time doing smaller swings, where the focus is on the check contraction, and the pull push back on the rings (clearly shoulder flex is important here BIG time). However spending time doing 100 smaller swings like this (with shoes or ankle weights on) should help him understand the quick turnover of the feet.

Thing is i feel i could help, but i don't think i can explain it well enough haha to make sense. I personally just spot it a bit, teach the check contraction in swinging to candle, and to stop them from pushing their chest out on the pull back ( i have them lay down in candle with me holding their feet, and i have them push against the ground as hard as possible, for long period of time (10sec lets say), and as they start to push the chest out i make them pull it back in, and they understand how to do one without the other.
That seems to work. More importantly thought i spend time with back turnover. Because doing dislocates is considerably easier to develop, plus as they get older its easier to develop the front as its not really that hard. This is one area that i choose to do enough to do well at meet and develop good enough understanding without spending a great deal of time. (with younger guys).

Doubt that any of this is new b

Get cut off there or something?

What do you mean by "check contraction?" I'm not familiar with this term.

HAHA neither am i... what i ment to say was chest contraction haha. Where they lean to lift their toes from the bottom not just by kicking the feet up, but also by hollowing (contracting) the chest. Hope that makes more sense, sorry for confusion.. i am swear i have dyslexia or something.

And also, the b.. was nothing, just said i doubt anything up to is new to you.

+1 for what Valentin said. My ring swings weren't doing so great, until we worked alot on smaller swings. I would start with super-small swings and gradually increase them in height and power. That drill helped me a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back