WAG rip repair ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
What have you got?
All I know of is black tea bags put in the freezer and then put on the rip. That's all I got.
Anyone?

I haven't used that one, although I have used wet tea bags on his hands.

First, make sure to trim the skin. Then you can use any of the following: (there are more)
preparation h onthe rip
carmex on the rip (this is what D uses)
bag balm on the rip

to prevent, make sure to pumice calluses before they can get to the rip stage. Some need shaving but D has been able to just keep his down with pumice

Bag balm thick on rip, cover with sterile gause pad, wrap sports tape around hand. Go to sleep this way. Will be 100% better in morning. Deep rips can take more than a day. Just did this last night with D with rough hands starting to rip,brand new this am :)

My son's coach says the trick is to not let the rips dry up. Keep it moisturized at all times.

Reactions: sce
What have you got?
All I know of is black tea bags put in the freezer and then put on the rip. That's all I got.
Anyone?
I've always used warm tea bags. ie put the bag in hot water , squeeze most of the water out, let it cool a bit and place it on the rip. Afterwards cover the rip in vaseline and out a sock on the hand overnight (helps keep the vaseline on.

Walgreens carry bag balm. We started using that recently to keep hands moisturizer, I also have her pumice the edges of calluses. For acute rips she uses Prep H overnight. :)

It may sound strange, but hemorrhoid cream works miracles. Just make sure not to overuse it, because it can make the hands too soft.

Pumice in the shower.
Keep hands moisturized.

Once rip has occurred and broken....

We trim skin, antibiotic cream with bandaid (tape wrap for practice) for a couple to few days.
Followed by cream and bandaid during the day, keep dry at night.
Tape grips for practice.

Tis the rip season, daughter currently nursing one as we speak.

For anyone reading this post who lives in a rural area or whose walgreen's doesn't carry bag balm and you need it right away.... You can also buy bag balm at any livestock feed store.

And don't forget a good topical antibacterial. They can easily get infected.
I nor my kids have ever actually had one get infected. Never put antibiotic one either. We wash them well, keep moist, maybe use tea bags but that's it.

I nor my kids have ever actually had one get infected. Never put antibiotic one either. We wash them well, keep moist, maybe use tea bags but that's it.
I'm so glad you said that!!! We just finished a dr's visit, a round of oral antibiotics, prescription topical antibiotics and a week off bars for two rips that got infected just by washing and keeping clean-no topical....they were disgusting and painful and I was feeling like a neglectful mom.

I'm so glad you said that!!! We just finished a dr's visit, a round of antibiotics, prescription topical antibiotics and a week off bars for two rips that got infected just by washing and keeping clean-no topical....they were disgusting and painful. I was feeling like a neglectful mom.
That sounds horrible. I have never heard of that happening before. Though it's an open wound so clearly it happens.

We have had a boy get blood poisoning before. It was a rip on his wrist, and he kept wearing his nasty wrist bands. But that is the onyl one I have heard of. I wash wristbands regularly...

Hers were also wrist rips. A coach had us buy Vaseline to apply to the top of the healing wound, then adhere a small piece of plastic to the vaseline-covering the whole wound (like a piece of grocery bag, or cellophane from the packaging of gum or what-not) then wrap it with pre-wrap, then wristbands. The plastic acts as a barrier between her rip and her wristbands\grips that continue to rub against that aggravated area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back