WAG ROBHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jbird

Proud Parent
My daughter is a new level 3 (age 7) and is too scared to do a ROBHS without a coach next to her. What can she do to get over her fear? There are still several girls that can't do them either. Drills? More spotting? Upper body workout for strength?

Time. It takes time. The coaches have to work their program.
In some gyms, this means a coach stands there and moves a little further back each time.
In other gyms, it means she is spotted more.
In other gyms, she doesn't do it at all.

Eventually, she will have the confidence to do it without a coach there.

It takes a lot of time. It'e one of the skills that they can get and then lose several times before it's consistent. I do think that the coach can come out on the floor and stand beside them during competition when it's time to do a ROBHS and as long as they don't touch them (spot them) it's not a deduction. Is that correct @raenndrops ???

It takes a lot of time. It'e one of the skills that they can get and then lose several times before it's consistent. I do think that the coach can come out on the floor and stand beside them during competition when it's time to do a ROBHS and as long as they don't touch them (spot them) it's not a deduction. Is that correct @raenndrops ???
In compulsories… yes. Also in Xcel.
Starting in L6, it is a 0.5 deduction for them standing on the floor (even if they are nowhere close enough to spot). Made one of our L6 so mad last year when she FINALLY saw for herself (the judge actually flipped the card)… because she had scored a 8.9 with the coach standing about 10 feet away, but on the floor.

Her round offs were great in L2 but maybe she's not getting in the correct position for the BHS? Like she's jumping up and not back. She's afraid of landing on her head which I think has happened somewhat before. Coaches are pushing all the girls to get the skill. She does it with a spot (doesn't look great) but then won't do it by herself

Her round offs were great in L2 but maybe she's not getting in the correct position for the BHS? Like she's jumping up and not back. She's afraid of landing on her head which I think has happened somewhat before. Coaches are pushing all the girls to get the skill. She does it with a spot (doesn't look great) but then won't do it by herself
If it doesn't look great with a spot, she isn't ready to do it by herself.

It took my dd well over a year of actively learning her ROBHS to get it by herself without a spot. Then she took a header during a meet warmup and lost it for about 6 months. Now she's training back tucks. All that to say, she'll get there. Slow and steady... with a few steps backwards along the way...

It really does take time. If it doesn't look great with a spot, then she isn't ready to do it on her own. It took DD about 6 months of doing her "great" looking ROBHS with a spot before she was confident enough to do it on her own. Once she started doing it on her own, her form suffered and it took a couple months for her to make it look great again.

The secret to getting over any fear is patience.

Reactions: sce
In my dd gym they don't rush anyone, each one progresses at their own rate. My dd was the last in her group to get her round off flick which I believe is what we call a ROBHS (correct me if I'm wrong). She went from doing her first ROBHS independently to competing it in under a month, I think that's because they keep spotting until it is prefect and they are barely touching them. They also spend hours doing drills. Their theory is perfection rather than progressing through skills as quickly as you can.

Reactions: sce
Learn it right the first time no matter how many spots or how long it takes. Bad habit with muscle memory on this skill takes forever to unlearn .... 4 years after first gym that wasn't great with form and mine still trying to make it perfect.

Magical presence of the coach is never to be underestimated.
She will be able to do it when she is ready and confident. By having coach there, she is building very important muscle memory.....
Don't worry, she will get it!

she'll get over it, eventually. but expect it to happen on other major skills too. my dd (9 going into lvl 6) is like that on some stuff. she gets a little nutty. we did it on her robhs, bhs on beam, lvl 4 jump from low to high bar and just recently with her kip, cast, flyaway on high bar. even on pit bar she wanted someone to just STAND next to her. not touch her, mind you, and the coaches wouldn't during regular practice. luckily we were able to get someone to *stand* next to her during an open gym for her cast flyaway on pit bar and then within a week she was doing the whole skill with her full routine on regular bars and landing it on a mat. SMH. i agree with the above poster and the "magical presence of a coach". don't push. i learned that early. gymnast just shuts down.

Also, sometimes you as a parent from the sidelines can't actually tell how close they are to getting it. My daughter is also level 3and several of us watched as they tried to learn them this summer thinking that they were nowhere near. I even remember making that comment that there was no way she would get it on time for skills testing. And then when magic day, I come to pick her up and she is screaming my name telling me she got it. Based on watching her with the spot, I would've had no idea that she was even close. Definitely no need to panic!

This is the upside of not watching practice. I have not one clue how long it takes my kid to get anything. Usually I luck into a practice and I go holy whatever when did she get that and sometimes I even need someone to tell me what that is. Really they get whatever when they get it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back