Coaches Run/Board contact ideas needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pineapple_Lump

Coach
Judge
I have a gymnast who was basically ignored by her previous coach for the year. Apparently this kid has 'no concept of shapes for vault' after working with her I discovered that the kid steps right next to the springboard in her hurdle. This leads me to believe that previous coach has no concept of cause and effect.

The step was an easy fix, by placing a mat down on the runway, but I have now discovered another problem. Her run is decent, but her last few steps before the board are sunken, flat footed as well as more knee bend and a bit of hunching over. She is really trying to change it, but it is obviously an ingrained habit. Any idea's for activities/drills to force her to change would be great. I realise she has been doing this for a long time and that it will take a lot of time to correct to relearn.

I have had this exact same problem on several gymnasts. Try having her run "medium" speed until the last 3 or 4 steps and then kick it in. In doing this they usually accelerate on their toes right into the board. Let me know if it works.

EDIT: Sometimes I even make them walk for their first step or two.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back