WAG Safe Sport/photo guidelines....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mish

Proud Parent
Who is monitoring it? On GK's Facebook page today they feature a young girl with some prominent crotch shots.

I know some girls send them photos or tag themselves in it, but shouldn't GK be more prudent in what they post?

I think the issue is that GK, is a private business and that is a model or it is a photo submitted to them by the gymnast, therefore approved by the party in the photo. GK doesn't have to follow safe sport guideline

Its not USAG/Meet/Gym related.

Now used as advertising in a USAG magazine for instance, totally different thing.

I think the issue is that GK, is a private business and that is a model or it is a photo submitted to them by the gymnast, therefore approved by the party in the photo. GK doesn't have to follow safe sport guideline

Its not USAG/Meet/Gym related.

Now used as advertising in a USAG magazine for instance, totally different thing.
Exactly. SafeSport only dictates what USAG and USAG member clubs do. If a member club were posting questionable photos there could be grounds to report, but businesses and individuals can do what they want. It looks like that particular gymnast posted those photos and tagged GK in them, they just shared them. If a USAG member club were using them in promotional materials for their program or a meet, that would be a different story.
There are tons of young gymnast accounts (parent run/monitored) that post photos that probably are not in keeping with the SafeSport policy, if they want to share those with the world (and be featured by gym companies) that is their choice.

Exactly. SafeSport only dictates what USAG and USAG member clubs do. If a member club were posting questionable photos there could be grounds to report, but businesses and individuals can do what they want. It looks like that particular gymnast posted those photos and tagged GK in them, they just shared them. If a USAG member club were using them in promotional materials for their program or a meet, that would be a different story.
There are tons of young gymnast accounts (parent run/monitored) that post photos that probably are not in keeping with the SafeSport policy, if they want to share those with the world (and be featured by gym companies) that is their choice.

Yes, but in the spirit of supporting these gymnasts you would think that a company who sells leos to teams, etc., would be a bit more selective in what they present to the world.

Parents exploiting their own children is not what I'm talking about, and unfortunately is rampant on those pages.

Yes, but in the spirit of supporting these gymnasts you would think that a company who sells leos to teams, etc., would be a bit more selective in what they present to the world.

Parents exploiting their own children is not what I'm talking about, and unfortunately is rampant on those pages.
I totally agree with you, it was a poor selection on their part. I think it was probably just a mindless decision and, where we are in the gym world at the moment, mindless choices are just not going to cut it anymore. I was just saying SafeSport doesn't really cover that. I do think it would be appropriate for customers to send a complaint directly to GK and let them know their thoughts. Everyone in the gym world needs to understand that such a lack of thought isn't okay and be held to some form of accountability, whether that be SafeSport, USAG, or customers who put their foot down.

And in the interest of preventing the exploitation of children. We are all free to write letters, comment on their page and take our dollars elsewhere. You can ask USAG, to drop them and their dollars of support. Pick another official vendor.

Your question was who is monitoring it? No one, because there is nothing to monitor. They are a private business. Not part of USAG.

And in the interest of preventing the exploitation of children. We are all free to write letters, comment on their page and take our dollars elsewhere. You can ask USAG, to drop them and their dollars of support. Pick another official vendor.

Your question was who is monitoring it? No one, because there is nothing to monitor. They are a private business. Not part of USAG.

I guess monitoring was a poor choice of words. I just meant it seems insincere on their part when they post photos of empowerment leos but do not really practice what they preach. I understand that they are a private business and not part of USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back