WAG Scared Gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,
I have a gymnast who has recently just started gymnastics again after quitting due to a torn calf muscle. After returning to the gym, we have noticed she is really scared to do any fast moves where she goes upside down. for example, she has been back in the gym for almost a whole year now training 2 hours a week. About 1 month ago she got her roundoff back handspring back. Her main issue is bars, last week we were starting to train baby giants again. As she was pushing her legs over she would let go of the bars and fall just so she wouldn't have to go upside down anymore. I'm not sure how to get over her fear of going upside down. Any suggestions?

Have you expressed your thoughts to her? She might know what will help her. At 12, she should be aware of her body. Ask her why she doesn't do it. If the answer is I'm scared (it will probably be) ask what she is afraid of and what she thinks she needs to get over it. This might not work with all kids, it did help me when my coach did it when I was 13

Have you expressed your thoughts to her? She might know what will help her. At 12, she should be aware of her body. Ask her why she doesn't do it. If the answer is I'm scared (it will probably be) ask what she is afraid of and what she thinks she needs to get over it. This might not work with all kids, it did help me when my coach did it when I was 13
Thanks! I'll give it a try this week at practice.

Hi,
I have a gymnast who has recently just started gymnastics again after quitting due to a torn calf muscle. After returning to the gym, we have noticed she is really scared to do any fast moves where she goes upside down. for example, she has been back in the gym for almost a whole year now training 2 hours a week. About 1 month ago she got her roundoff back handspring back. Her main issue is bars, last week we were starting to train baby giants again. As she was pushing her legs over she would let go of the bars and fall just so she wouldn't have to go upside down anymore. I'm not sure how to get over her fear of going upside down. Any suggestions?

did you mean 20 hours/week or is she really only training 2 hours/week? i can't imagine you'd get much back at only 2 hours/week in the gym which is why i'm asking.

I would guess it is 2 hours a week, since learning a BHS is level 2/3. Can't imagine a level 2 or 3 practicing 12 or 20 hours a week!

Is the upside down issue exclusive to bars? Does she feel insecure in her grip of the bar? Maybe back off skills she is scare of and have her do drills and bar conditioning, so she feel more confident in the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back