Parents Scared of being alone in class!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello!

My DD is 3 years old (3.5 in March) and on a developmental team. Her class has always been small- 4 girls (including my DD) is the most that have been in the class since my daughter joined in December. Last month two of the girls left, leaving my DD and another girl as the only two in the class. The other girl is frequently late to class, so my DD begins class alone most days. When she is alone, she cries and clings on to me when the coach calls her to class. She cries and says she wants her "friends" with her. As soon as she gets out on the gym floor, she's okay- but it does take a few minutes of crying and the coach having to calm her down. If there is another girl in class with her, she is completely fine! She's excited and all smiles ready to go!!! It doesn't even have to be a classmate, any other child in class and DD is fine. It's only when she has to go to class alone that she cries. I have no idea why there aren't more girls in the class, or if the gym is recruiting more girls. DD's coach is AWESOME- very strict, but caring and has taught my DD so much the past few months. I love our gym so much, and all the coaches/staff are so great that I would hate to take DD out. I just feel so terrible that DD cries every class where she is alone- it's some what embarrassing and I don't want the coach to get annoyed! Does anyone have any similar experiences or advice? Maybe it's a phase she will grow out of? Thank you for reading my post!!!

She is not even 3.5...pretty much any range of participation in an organized activity is normal at this age. Some children will not go to the class under any circumstances at this age. If the teacher teaches any other preschool classes that are more well attended, then I would simply switch to those whether they are a "developmental team" or not, since this is not necessary in the least at this age. Most kids don't want to go to class alone.

and remember that crying will not kill or traumatize her because of this.:)

I agree. She is 3. I'm pretty sure that all of my kids would have done the same thing at 3. I also agree with trying to find a class/schedule that has more kids in it. I'm kind of surprised that they even keep a class open with only 2 kids signed up.

I think it is a totally normal reaction for a 3 year old. Some kids just have more separation issues than others. My oldest was the same way--I practically had to peel her off of me to get her to go to any of her activities, but when I asked her if she wanted to leave she said no. It went on for a little while where she was upset going in, but by the time she got out onto the floor she was fine and having fun. Shortly after, the crying stopped. Sometimes kids adjust differently to new situations. I'm sure it will blow over. Try not to worry about what people are thinking around you--if they are parents chances are they have been in this situation before too. And I would doubt that the coaches would get annoyed. After all, she is only 3!

If it makes you feel better, my dd is now 10 and has no separation issues. Loves going to sleepovers, and even went to gymnastics camp this summer without knowing anyone who was going to be there! Looking back to when she was 3, I never thought I would see the day! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back