Parents Score outs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My dd competed level 2 last year and is moving to bronze this year. Our gym competes level 2, then bronze, silver, gold. After that they can chose if they want to go to optionals or stay in xcel. They just had a score out which I am not familiar with. I am assuming it is to see what level the girls would be. If anyone knows more information I would love to know. I don't know what everyone scored out at but two of the silver girls scored out of level 4. Is this consistent with other gyms that do xcel?

My dd did a score out meet when she went from level 3 to level 6 (last year). You have to score out of 4 and 5 before going to optionals. (From what I understand).

A score out is just a meet. Sometimes a meet at your home gym held exclusively for that purpose, but any sanctioned meet will do. Girls can score out of any level, really, by obtaining the minimum score for moving to the next level. It is does most often to move girls along to optionals. Girls must obtain a minimum score at levels 4 and 5 to move on to optionals. It can be done in a single meet. Level 6 can be outright skipped if a girl is ready for 7.

Not sure for XCEL rules, but JO rules dictate that level 4 and up need a minimum score for mobility to the next level. The score out meet can be ANY meet as long as it is sanctioned, and there is a judge. We are having a score out soon, and it will take place during regular practice....a judge will be present, and will be sanctioned.
I think the minimum score is 32 for JO.

Not sure for XCEL rules, but JO rules dictate that level 4 and up need a minimum score for mobility to the next level. The score out meet can be ANY meet as long as it is sanctioned, and there is a judge. We are having a score out soon, and it will take place during regular practice....a judge will be present, and will be sanctioned.
I think the minimum score is 32 for JO.

The mobility score for 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6 is a 31AA.

Yes. My DD has followed a similar progression. Xcel Silver...then score out of 4 and 5 at beginning of Xcel Gold season. Now on to JO Optionals.

The mobility score for 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6 is a 31AA.
Ah ok, my mistake.....
A friend just scored out a few weeks ago at another gym during regular practice too....I think the judge was also one of their coaches????
Is this allowed???

Actually this is a new concept for us. We have never done a score out and we have one very soon......
My DD has been training compulsories for 4 years, worrying about toes and pinkies!
She is so excited to move on to optionals....she deserves it!!!

Ideally the standards for a scoreout meet are the same as any sanctioned invitational with multiple teams. Occasionally one hears of different situations (I think we had a thread about this once a few years ago). It's something DD's gym generally only does once in a blue moon, but it would also generally be for girls who will put up over a 36 AA at the scoreout meet. One of DD's coaches has her judging license and often judges at the practice meet they do in the fall for compulsories, but she's not one to hand out feel-good scores, let me tell you! Can't remember if she judged at the last scoreout meet; I know there was at least one outside judge in for that one.

I guess it could work against you too! I know if my DDs beam coach was scoring, she would be SOOOOO hard!

At DD's gym, they do a score out in house meet for those scoring out of level 5. One of the team moms is also a judge, so she arranges for two other local judges to come in and judge the in-house meet. I do think they have to get a sanction from USAG for the scores to be counted if I remember correctly. They are due to have the score out meet pretty soon for the current group training level 6.

Mobility scores (to move between levels) are set by USAG and they are standard for all JO gymnasts. They can be seen here: https://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/overview_jo.html

The threshold for qualifying for State or Regional competition is set by each individual state or region and it does vary. Also, each gym may have standards that they require to move up that are different than either of these scores just discussed. Lots of standards, but all by different folks (USAG, States, Regions and individual gyms).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back