Scoring in the US ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Hi guys - just wondering after reading some of the posts about gyms not moving children up unless they get 38+, how the scoring is carried out "over there".

I know they are marked out of 10, but to only loose 0.5 per event seems epic. Especially on beam !

Are they drilled to the point of destruction ( I know they do way more hours than your average gymnast here) or is the scoring a lot more generous ?

I don't know of gyms in our area that require 38s to move up. I have heard 34s and 36s. I think that 38s are a requirement to move up sounds crazy and would likely be something to make us not consider a gym. IMO, if you are scoring all 9s then you are proficient enough to move up! Many of the competitions that we have been to have 36s and 37s as 1st place AA scores, 38s are almost unheard of!

Yes, I agree. Seeing a 38 at a meet is unusual and having a gym not move kids up till they're at that level would be almost unheard of. Our gym treats move-ups on an individual basis. One girl with a 34 might repeat while another girl with a 34 might repeat. The coaches take lots of different things into account.

Hi guys - just wondering after reading some of the posts about gyms not moving children up unless they get 38+, how the scoring is carried out "over there".

I know they are marked out of 10, but to only loose 0.5 per event seems epic. Especially on beam !

Are they drilled to the point of destruction ( I know they do way more hours than your average gymnast here) or is the scoring a lot more generous ?

Drilled to the point of destruction! I like that, and yes, that is what we have experienced. Every tiny detail is repeated over and over and over again. Every wave of the hand is done "just so" and anything the gymnast is being deducted for is made known to them. There is no shame in repeating a 37+++ gymnast.

We left that gym :)

There is a possibility that dd will be travelling to usa next year for a comp. Am really intrigued to see what level that will be and to see scores after.

ooh do fill us in Meeshy, I know a local club was talking about going to the Magic Classic, it will be interesting.

No details as yet, but they are looking at going for just over a week and trying to fit in two comps, one each weekend.

I am hoping for info soon so I can start saving !!

USAG has required minimum scores for moving up you can find on the USAG site but most of the gyms I know have at least a 2 point higher than required minimum for their gyms to move up. It's really hard to give a definite answer as every gym can set their own "extra" requirements beyond the Minimums of USAG. As far as deductions go some deductions are set firm like a fall while others are "UP TO....A set value) the UP TO's are where there can be such variation. so it can be anywhere from no deductions to the full value or anything in between. I've seen a girl who is considered one of the top girls have a bad day fall from the beam 3 times (should be 1.5 deduction) and end up with a 9.3 1st place over gymnasts who did a good routine but didn't fall. Assuming she started with a 10 start value the best score with no other mistakes she could have received should have been 8.5 but there was over time, missed elements etc and she still had the 9.3. Oh well.

It is expensive for many of the meet fees especially at the optional levels. Its expensive for the gym fees, for the leo fees and any other fee you can think of LOL

I've seen a girl who is considered one of the top girls have a bad day fall from the beam 3 times (should be 1.5 deduction) and end up with a 9.3 1st place over gymnasts who did a good routine but didn't fall. Assuming she started with a 10 start value the best score with no other mistakes she could have received should have been 8.5 but there was over time, missed elements etc and she still had the 9.3. Oh well.

Here a fall is 1 mark, plus any connection bonus and the value of the skill if its not completed I think. I have seen 3's scored on beam, 7's are regular and this is out of a start values of 11-12

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back