MAG Scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

uniqueRN

Proud Parent
Did the scoring change for this season? My son is a level 7 and he keeps telling me his score is not out of 16 anymore. Does he mean the start value? I'm confused. :confused:

Yes. the start values have changed. "technically" the scoring is still out of 16 as usual, but the levels 6 and 7s (I think ) can only go as high as 12.2 or 12.5. i can't remember. D just had his first meet, and the scoring was definitely different and will be tough to get used to!

I think that, after endless explanations from my son, I kind of get it for L5 -- it's this combination of 3 half point bonuses on most events and specific allocation of virtuosity points, plus a .2 stick bonus. Ugh, just when I felt like I finally had a handle on it last year for L4! I think for our guys' first meet next weekend, we parents are just going to tell each other that anything double digit is utterly fabulous.

Thanks so much. I was really confused and it looks like I will be all season! :) So anything above a 6 is going to be good? What's the basis for the change?

I have no idea what is Good, or not yet. Our coach said he doesn't even know. I knwo D's scores were from 7.9-10.2 and there were a few 11 in the meet.

I guess the basis was to make the scoring more consistent all the way through the levels. Kids would get 15+ at level 5,6 and then those would starting dropping as they go up the levels. I think they are tryign to make the scoring look the same all the way through, and for the higher scores to be at the higher levels.

I don't think our state has even figured out what state qualifying scores will be yet! Or if they have, I don't think they've told anyone. Well, I guess this is one way to get parents not to obsess about scores. :)

I don't think our state has even figured out what state qualifying scores will be yet! Or if they have, I don't think they've told anyone. Well, I guess this is one way to get parents not to obsess about scores. :)

Yes! Sometimes it's better to be in the dark!!! ;) You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure it all out. Best to be left to the coaches and judges.

LOL! Maybe that is their evil plan...keep us all just confused enough that we are all crazy!

We still have a month til competition season starts so it should be interesting! Not that I understood boys scoring in the first place!

Field report: those judges have 6s and they're not afraid to use them! More on another thread, but at yesterday's L5 meet, the lowest score anyone on DS's team got was a 5.0 and the highest was a 10.5.

We were at a meet this weekend with both our girls and boys teams and the "gyms" were set up in a big gymnasium side by side. The scoreboards were right next to each other, so I would glance over there to try to catch our boys scores. I saw LOTS of low scores, but the lowest I saw was 2.5!! Poor little guy. :( I don't know who it was or what happened in the routine, but I was shocked. Anyway, I think the highest I saw was 11.2. It so confusing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back