Parents Scratching an event

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our team still does not have bars mastered and competition season is coming up quickly. I heard mention from one coach that they will not let the girls compete bars until they have mastered their skills which still look to be a far way off.

I don't think it is right that the gym is still sending the team on long distance meets knowing in advance that the whole team will scratch an event? Why would they waste girls time and parent's money? What benefit will come of knowingly receiving a low AA that won't qualify them for anything?

Our parent meeting is scheduled soon but I really wanted to see how many other gyms do this same thing.

Last year my dd had to scratch bars at a few events. She was L7, but did not have her giant. (it is a requirement from our gym for L7). I understand what you are saying and I agree except, for someone going from L6 to L7. Travel is so expensive so why go if you are not ready. Would they make you repeat the prior level? I am glad my dd did not repeat L6. I would rather her have scratched for a few meets than do another year of compulsaries.

Last year when my DD had a broken foot she scratched all events except for bars (L5). We did 2 meets like this but they were both in town. We did not go to the travel meets. I see alot of meets were girls scratch an event but can still medal in individual events. Maybe the coach would like the girls to have the competition experience. The girls could still walk away with medals ...just not AA awards.

My daughter (and a few of her teammates as well) will probably (barring a visit from the kip faries) end up scratching bars for at least the first meet or two this year. We don't go to any out-of-state meets, but most of the meets are a couple of hours away. I don't mind so much... Kathy loves to compete, and she's likely to do well in the other events. Hopefully not qualifying for AA awards will provide whatever added motivation she needs to finally get that kip. Maybe, if the coach told her she couldn't compete until she got it, she'd be even further motivated, but she might also just get frustrated. Besides, registration for the meets is done so far in advance, how do you predict at what point they will "get" the skills they need to compete on all 4 events?

It happens frequently ecspecially the higher up you get that girls may not be ready on all 4 events. I have seen it handled differently by differnt gyms. Sometimes they just let them scratch the event, sometimes they dont compete them at all sometimes they compete and take the hit on that event score for what they are missing.

What I am wondering is the whole team not ready on bars?? I guess that is the way I read the post. If this is true I would ask WHY are they not all ready. I can see a gymnast or so but the whole team seems unlikely??

My DD competed the first half of Level 7 with no giant and the first half of Level 8 no Tsuk. The skills came and eventually on vault with her Tsuk she placed regionaly that season. So it is likley they will getthe skills figured out. I would be unhappy about spending lots of money to travel far with missing skills. However, we are not a huge travel gym and go out of town only 1 x per season other than regionals.

Good Luck

Even though they will get a lower AA score, they may do very well on the other 3 events.

Our gym will have an gymnast scratch an event if they aren't ready. They would rather have the lower AA score than have a gymnast struggle and potentially get a really low event score because they weren't ready.

My dd (level 5) has back tumbling fears and had to scratch floor several times last season. We still went to the meets and while she didn't get awards in AA she did place in beam several times. She would tell you that those meets weren't a waste of time and I didn't consider them a waste of money.

Last year my dd had to scratch bars at a few events. She was L7, but did not have her giant. (it is a requirement from our gym for L7). I understand what you are saying and I agree except, for someone going from L6 to L7. Travel is so expensive so why go if you are not ready. Would they make you repeat the prior level? I am glad my dd did not repeat L6. I would rather her have scratched for a few meets than do another year of compulsaries.

OMG I could have written this same thing about my DD. She had to scratch Bars from Dec through Feb then when she finally had the skill the last 3 meets were snowed out and she didn't qualify for sectionals or states because of it. But I do have to say even though she scratched bars I was glad she went to the meets. She felt good about her other events and it gave her the confidence she needed to know she could get it. It also gave her that Team bonding that is so important with these girls. And who doesn't like staying in a hotel getting roomservice at 11 at night. I can taste that Ice cream sunday now LOL.

It could be worse. One of the girls on her team at our old gym only competed vault all last season because she didn't have all her skills on the other 3 events but she went to the meets. I think if it were just vault I wouldn't have DD compete except at local meets. That's along day for 30 seconds in the limelight.

We have that happen a lot especially early in the season with those hard to get skills, kips, mill circles, handstand dismount on beam, back walk overs and back hand springs. We let the girls compete if they wish to and just spot them, it is a 0.5 point deduction per each spot but that is a heck of a lot better than getting a 0. Granted this is early in the season right after kids move up, then we of course work towards not having a spot, but between learning all new routines and new skills and some of the skills being those difficult ones it is bound to happen. Then again our gym is more rec. competition IMO and we don't tend to hold kids back so a lot of them move up without the needed skills. What level is your dd? if she is lower than a 7 why don't they just spot?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am wondering is the whole team not ready on bars?? I guess that is the way I read the post. If this is true I would ask WHY are they not all ready. I can see a gymnast or so but the whole team seems unlikely??

Out of the 10 girls only 1 just recently got her giant. The gym philosophy is to move girls up then train them the skills however now they are saying they can't compete bar unless they have their giant.

My daughters gym does make the girls scratch an event if they are not ready and unable. When my daughter first stared competing I thought that this did not make sense but after seeing how things are run I think it is better to let them scratch than put them out there doing skills that they are not ready for. Luckily my daughter has not had to scratch since her first year. I quess I respect her coaches opinions and if they feel she is not ready than it is their decision. I do think it motivates them more to work hard to get a skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back