Parents Sharing a struggle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD is struggling with her kip. Actually she isn't just struggling, she can't make any lately! It's very frustrating because a few weeks ago she was doing them, though not consistently. I know there's nothing anyone can say to really help her, just sharing my frustration. Her coach said she needs to go back to square one just a little because she is rushing and forgetting to really pull the bar long before trying to kip up. DD luckily doesn't seem the least bit frustrated, just me! I'm glad she's not frustrated at least.

I know she will get it back and consistent soon. I know she's only 6 and I know she has a long time before she has to compete it. I know it's normal to struggle. Yet I'm still frustrated.

On a good note DD did her BWO on the low beam by herself. I was really surprised. They've never worked on them before on beam. She had a few spotted and then did it by herself! I love that she's never afraid to do anything. She was ready to hop right up on the high beam and try it. Aw, to be young and fearless.

Good for her on the BWO.
Regarding the kip...my DD is finishing her first season of L5...with 22 girls on her L5 team. So, I watched quite a lot of kip struggles this year. And I am sure I will watch MANY of them next year with 10 new level 5's getting ready to come up on the L5 team in a few weeks. Almost all of them go through the "get the kip, lose the kip" game. The kip was one thing that my DD did not have too much trouble with, once she got it she maybe took 3 practices to "keep" it and then didn't lose it. However then she got it straight armed, and then it was bent up again, and then straight armed, and so forth...
There are a couple girls on the L5 team who are still on again, off again with the kip. Almost all of them can pull it out at meets though.
Your DD is so fortunate to be only 6 and working on it. She is going to have it down pat soon and she'll have it forever. My DD was 9 before she got to really begin training it.

You could tell her that Shawn Johnson took well over a year to get her kip. It is such a challenging skill, and probably the first skill that really takes a lot of technique and timing. I can guarantee this will pass and she will own the kip, but I know from my youngest that kips sometimes take time.

WooHoo on the BWO, that is a big beam skill and a road blcok for many girls.

My DD is now starting to learn kips, so I don't know if they are going to be a struggle for her or not. She is strong, but I'm not sure if she'll get the timing sorted out.

If your dd has grown (even just a tiny bit) that can sometimes throw off the kip. This is my dd's 2nd year doing the kip and it is still sometimes hit or miss on some days. Just be patient and know that the kip is one of the trickiest skills because it takes coordination, timing and strength. She'll get it back before you know it!!

I don't have much experience in kips just yet, but from what I have read on here, it is a skill that comes and goes before it gets consistent. I'm sure your dd will get it soon!

Congrats on the BWO on beam, that is a BIG deal!

The kip is all timing, just give it time. Don't talk about it with her, just let her work through it. Shortly after the kip, the next biggie will be the giant. Those are the 2 hardest, but most important skills on bars. My dd was one of the last to get her kip in her group, but one of the first to get her giants.

I understand your struggle, which can easily turn into a frustration as time goes on. I always mention my dd's struggle with twisting on this forum. It's still somewhat there, but it literally took over 2 years to get over the twisting block. When it first started to happen, she was excelling on the other 3 events, but couldn't twist. All she could focus on though was how bad a gymnast she was because she couldn't twist, but she was doing all sorts of crazy good stuff on the other events. Thankfully she had great coaches who have worked with her and although it's been a long journey she is overcoming her block.

Just make sure that she stays positive and tell her not to force it and try to muscle it up or she will be worse off. I would assume that the coaches want straight arm kips and they take time, but I promise you they will come and then there will be a new challenge she'll face - it's never over!

Thanks for all of your encouragement. Luckily DD really doesn't care either way. She doesn't get frustrated with anything at this point and doesn't really get too excited about anything either. She never comes home and talks about being disappointed about not getting something or others getting it and she rarely comes home and is too excited about having done something new. She was excited to do her FHS. I hope to keep her this way forever! I often wonder if it's because she's young that she doesn't seem to care either way, but I know others have younger girls who do care. I'm hoping it's just her personality. She seems for the most part to be able to leave everything at the gym, good and bad. I think that's a good way to be. So far it's been the same at meets. She's only competed 3, but she never said a word about the mistakes she made or the great routines she did. She was just happy to be there and didn't dwell on her performance.

I also forgot to add in addition to her BWO she did a baby giant on the pit bar and she did a flyway spotted and probably with the coach doing 90% of the work, but hey she let go of the bar and others were scared. So she's doing great, but I just focused on what she can't do right now. I need to be more positive and look at what she can do.

Oh, the kip! Even though DD will do level 4 for another season, they've been working on the kip with her. I'm glad they are because I know it will take time and that she will probably gain it and lose it during that time. It sounds like your daughter is not getting frustrated so your approach (not saying anything) is best. And I know what you mean about that BWO on beam (no fear). Was watching my girl practice beam on Friday and knew that the 2nd yr 4's could do BWO's. Had no idea my daughter had been working on it until she volunteered to go. Just about had a panic attack watching her! It's great to be young with no fear, isn't it?

My daughter was one of the last one's in her group to get her kip and started to get very discouraged. However, 6 months after that she had the nicest kips of the group. She had nice straight arms and a beautiful extenstion. I think that extra time of being spotted and not "muscling" it up allowed her to not develop bad habits.

I agree with Granny Smith - don't let her get down on herself, it is a VERY hard skill and if she will get it.

Kudos on the BWO on beam. My daughter just got her's on the mid-beam, next up is the high beam!

Your daughter's no stress attitude seems amazing. Can I coach her? hahaha

Kips are tricky. Even if you are super strong, it's all about timing. One of those skills that just takes doing a whole bunch til you figure out that timing.

A 6 year old with a kip in itself is a huge accomplishment, just think, she'll have it consistent in no time!

As others have said, she will get it and it will be consistent eventually. My dd got hers when she was 6 but it took a few months for it to be really nice and consistent and straight-armed. Have to disagree a tiny bit with Granny on bars skills - I think the free hip to handstand may just be about the most frustrating and difficult skill to get. It's good that your dd does not get frustrated - hope it stays that way for her. It will make her and your gym life easier. My dd gets so wound around the axle when she cannot get a skill or isn't doing something perfectly, it drives her and her coaches crazy and is the source of a lot of tears.

Yes I'm very glad that she seems to not have a care in the world with regards to gymnastics. I often wonder if she just holds it all inside and I just don't know it. For those of you who do have girls that are perfectionists and stress out about gymnastices, did they do it at age 6?

I do have to keep reminding myself that she is doing wonderful. She's the youngest by far in her Level 5 group, she's been doing gymnastics the least amount of time and she really just started working on kips about 6 weeks ago. So what am I complaining about? She did do some work on kips before, but never consistently. They'd do a little work one day every few weeks or so. The very few girls that do already have them have been working on them for almost a year. I need to put it in perspective.

My dd got her kip really early...then lost it, then got it back. Now she can do her long hang kips, too. (she's an official 5 in April-she still has one more L4 meet) Now that back walkover on beam...she may be 12 before she gets that, and I'm not kidding...not because she's scared...she's not, but her shoulders are so tight, you should see how far apart her arms are on the floor when she does them...they don't make the beam that wide!lol

I think its amazing at 6 that your dd can do kips on bar and backwalkovers on beam! consistent or not!! that's amazing!!

Thanks for all of your encouragement. Luckily DD really doesn't care either way. She doesn't get frustrated with anything at this point and doesn't really get too excited about anything either. She never comes home and talks about being disappointed about not getting something or others getting it and she rarely comes home and is too excited about having done something new. She was excited to do her FHS. I hope to keep her this way forever! I often wonder if it's because she's young that she doesn't seem to care either way, but I know others have younger girls who do care. I'm hoping it's just her personality. She seems for the most part to be able to leave everything at the gym, good and bad. I think that's a good way to be. So far it's been the same at meets. She's only competed 3, but she never said a word about the mistakes she made or the great routines she did. She was just happy to be there and didn't dwell on her performance.

Gauging by my own little DD, I'd probably say that your DD's behavior is innate. My little DD rarely complains about a skill, school work, etc. She just plugs away. However, watch for even little signs of stress, such as continuously working on the same skill. I bet she would find a way to 'fix' it herself, but being so little causes me to think they still need us to lend a helping hand.
DD's struggle with the kip came exactly where your coach said it was for your DD. She wasn't timing the skill right and pushed 'away' rather than down on the bar as she 'rode' up. I hope that makes sense. I seriously never thought DD would get that skill when they first moved her to 5, but that was one of the first she did get. Don't worry soon she will be kipping away. One question, does she have her long hang kip? DD got that one first. I thought that was harder? It was for me as a gymnast and again hard to teach my little gymnasts when I coached. That was an odd one for me concerning DD. But a lot of her team got that one first too!

my girls have not gotten it yet, but they have not had a chance to consistently work on it!
Good luck to her!! I hope she gets it FAST!!!

Try not to stress about the kip. It will come eventually. It took my dd about 6 months to start making any and then another year to perfect it with straight arms and be able to connect out of it. It was a long struggle, but it made the end result even sweeter. :)
Some girls just take right to it though and don't seem to have a lot of trouble. Everyone is different. She'll get there eventually. Way to go on the BWO's.

Gauging by my own little DD, I'd probably say that your DD's behavior is innate. My little DD rarely complains about a skill, school work, etc. She just plugs away. However, watch for even little signs of stress, such as continuously working on the same skill. I bet she would find a way to 'fix' it herself, but being so little causes me to think they still need us to lend a helping hand.
DD's struggle with the kip came exactly where your coach said it was for your DD. She wasn't timing the skill right and pushed 'away' rather than down on the bar as she 'rode' up. I hope that makes sense. I seriously never thought DD would get that skill when they first moved her to 5, but that was one of the first she did get. Don't worry soon she will be kipping away. One question, does she have her long hang kip? DD got that one first. I thought that was harder? It was for me as a gymnast and again hard to teach my little gymnasts when I coached. That was an odd one for me concerning DD. But a lot of her team got that one first too!

Pushing away is exactly what she's doing. I honestly think what happenned with DD is that she actually did a kip pretty quickly without much work on it. I think it was an accident. It's sort of like she never really learned how to do it, it just happenned. Now that she's trying to figure out how to do it and really understand so it's consistent, she can't do it. Her coach just said she's trying to rush through it and especially the part where she is supposed to pull the bar. She is trying to kip up before she pulls.

As far as DD's personality she isn't really the type to try to fix anything. She's just like a kid out there having fun. She isn't very serious, she doesn't do skills over and over and stress at practice. If she misses every attempt she doesn't care. She just bounces to the next event or station with a grin on her face. It's a wonder she's halfway decent at gymnastics with her lack of seriousness. I think it's good though. I think it allows her to not stress about skills the way others do. She still works hard and tries to do things correctly and she's worked really hard on her form, but when she's working on something she's done when the time is up. She doesn't seem to give it a second thought. With the kip I've noticed the other girls will stay at the bar and try and try and try and then cry.

you've gotten great advice so far. Just remember the ONLY reason the very difficult kip is taught at level 5 is because it is a lead in for so many other skills. It is actually a very complex, difficult skill. It took my daughter 8 months to get an ugly kip. Another year to make it pretty and it is still a work in progress.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back