Parents Shift due to injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
At this point we are not sure if dd will recover to even continue in gymmastics at all. She really wants to stay in JO. I think given her body’s inability to take the repetitive pounding that if she has any shot to continue, it would have to be in USAIGC. I’m wondering if those who have had the experience with a dd who has been been chronically injured and shifted to rec can share their outcome? Or is it just delaying the inevitable? Would love your experiences. Thank you.

Idk the injuries she has had, and how man hours a week she goes..but if it is an overuse injury from repetitive motion, there is a possibility that less repetition in a program with fewer hours cold help. As a parent I would have to weigh the severity of her injuries. It’s a tough spot to be in to be sure. I am sorry.

My daughter struggled with injuries, particularly back issues and occasional leg and wrist issues. Switching to XCel last summer has given her a new lease on gymnastics life. She was moving forward slowly but consistently until she reached L8, and I think at that point, the hours and the skills were taking too much of a toll on her body. Since she started XCel, she has stayed healthy. I don't want to over-attribute causation here, because the switch to XCel also corresponded with the completion of a major growth spurt, but it does seem like the lower hours and greater flexibility with skill development has contributed to better overall health and therefore significantly less frustration.

She just finished her first competitive season in XCel and is happily looking forward to next year.

As a parent, we worry what kind of permanent damage gymnastics or any other sport for that matter, can do to our kids bodies. The first time my gymnast experienced some pain that affected practice, I felt she was broken (not that she wasn’t or isn’t—). Nine years later, too many injuries to enumerate and an ankle reconstructive liagament suergery later, she’s still in the sport and is a multiple year Level 10. I can’t say I’d advocate it nor disway you either. It is the path she ended up taking. Btw, she just suffered two injuries this last season-concussion and a pulled muscle; so injuries has not let up. But I will say, the body has a way of healing itself. Your daughter’s love for the sport; your desire and ability to support that is what might determine your next step.

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter? What is the level and what are the chronic injuries? That may help elicit more specific responses in this thread.

Depends on what injury. DD had a back injury. Even after it healed she was still having pain. We switch from 20 hrs\week JO program to 5 hrs\week Xcel, hoping lower hours and modified routines would help. 6 months later she was still in pain, so we had to make a decision for her to quit the sport. Took her another 6 months of no gymnastics and PT to finally be pain free.

@LGnyc - your DD has had some wrist problems, right? Are there other issues? Have you been advised that she should find another sport?

My daughter struggled with injuries, particularly back issues and occasional leg and wrist issues. Switching to XCel last summer has given her a new lease on gymnastics life. She was moving forward slowly but consistently until she reached L8, and I think at that point, the hours and the skills were taking too much of a toll on her body. Since she started XCel, she has stayed healthy. I don't want to over-attribute causation here, because the switch to XCel also corresponded with the completion of a major growth spurt, but it does seem like the lower hours and greater flexibility with skill development has contributed to better overall health and therefore significantly less frustration.

She just finished her first competitive season in XCel and is happily looking forward to next year.

This is exactly what I’ve been hoping to hear. My dd has had repeated bouts of gymnast wrist. The good news is the multiple X-rays and mris have shown no lasting damage. Inflammation and pain. And now a knee injury bc she was front tumbling too much.

This is what I want for her. Please hope for her.

Sorry I’ve been off radar. She is about to turn 12. She’s had multiple bouts of wrist pain thru the years. On L6, broken nose, hand, foot. Remind me to tell you the hand story - it’s epic.

Mild aches on L7 like a shoulder strain or locked knee. And this year was repeating L7 - wrists bad July to October and again December to now with not much improvement even though completely off and now the knee. Diagnosis is fat pad impingement but she has been off it for five weeks and still non weight bearing.

Wrist dr said we may have to consider her body is not made for this sport but not definitive yet. More of a wait and see if she recovers.
As a parent, we worry what kind of permanent damage gymnastics or any other sport for that matter, can do to our kids bodies. The first time my gymnast experienced some pain that affected practice, I felt she was broken (not that she wasn’t or isn’t—). Nine years later, too many injuries to enumerate and an ankle reconstructive liagament suergery later, she’s still in the sport and is a multiple year Level 10. I can’t say I’d advocate it nor disway you either. It is the path she ended up taking. Btw, she just suffered two injuries this last season-concussion and a pulled muscle; so injuries has not let up. But I will say, the body has a way of healing itself. Your daughter’s love for the sport; your desire and ability to support that is what might determine your next step.

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter? What is the level and what are the chronic injuries? That may help elicit more specific responses in this thread.
I’ve

We’ve been in the same place with our dd. She is in 9th grade, and this was supposed to have been her level 8 season. But she barely competed 7 and only had one meet during level 8 due to chronic stress fractures. It is just over training that has destroyed her.

Dd has no interest in trying xcel.

We were planning to have her retire at the end of this year. But she recently switched gyms and their training plans specifically limit impact landings, and her pain has significantly decreased even with her training 28 hours per week. So now we are not so sure.

It is a difficult place, wanting to support her sport but wanting to protect her body.

Yikes!! Sorry for all the typos!!! I sometimes type responses in my small iphone and often times don't proof read. I am also older and my eyes are not quite as sharp. Surgery instead of Suergery (haha); liagament really? (ligament), etc., etc., etc.!

I think part of the reason my DD was willing to try XCel is that the gym's program is very serious. Some Diamonds are competing front fulls on floor, flipping vaults, doing double backs off bars, and beam series that would be fine for L8 (one girl is hoping to upgrade in the off season to something that would be fine for L9). My DD's hoping next year to compete a back 1.5 on floor and a shoot half on bars.

The wrist issues do improve as they get older too if they can just get through the tough period and keep up with the strengthening exercises.

This is exactly what I’ve been hoping to hear. My dd has had repeated bouts of gymnast wrist. The good news is the multiple X-rays and mris have shown no lasting damage. Inflammation and pain. And now a knee injury bc she was front tumbling too much.

This is what I want for her. Please hope for her.
Does she wear tiger paws?. Mine does all events except bars.

I have heard that they can outgrow so much of the growth plate issues. She just seems far away. She’s almost 12 and has at least a year if not two to go.

Supports: Ez-wrap on floor and vault (tp variation) and skids on beam. She didn’t like having anything on her hands so she could feel the beam.

Yikes!! Sorry for all the typos!!! I sometimes type responses in my small iphone and often times don't proof read. I am also older and my eyes are not quite as sharp. Surgery instead of Suergery (haha); liagament really? (ligament), etc., etc., etc.!

This made me laugh. I work in books as an editor and I cringe when I make errors.

DD wears her tiger paws on everything but bars. Coach is not fond of it but her and I made the decision. When she is older and if she is still in gym she can revisit tiger paws.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back