Shoot Over HELP Please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
G

gymnastralo

I have a tendacny not to twist/turn enough when Im doing my shoot over, is there any drill/advice anyone can offer? Also I have a problem with going past the bar, I over shoot the bar too much sometimes and I only grasp with one hand. Im doing the shootover from a horizontal cast at this point. Any pointers/drills?

Thanks for all your help!

i would suspect that you might be turning the wrong direction. are you turning in the same direction as you did for the level 5 dismount?

Yes Im turning the same way as I did for the level 5 dismount. Im sure im turning the right way, just not enough or not soon enough.

Hi,

without seeing a video I guess you are doing following wrong:

You are not swinging high enough ..so you don't have enough time to twist...

Here is a drill:

put a big mat behind the low bar on the uneven bars. Maybe a knee high mat and on top a softer mat, thin.

Cast on the low bar (don't face the high bar, other way), and do a shoot over to handstand on the mat..

Now you HAVE to swing higher but you can do it with less fear! Hope my explanation makes sense :):)

On tumble trak with an 8" mat, Jump forward but land on your back on the mat. Once you get the jump down, Jump forward, drop the arm you are twisting toward while turning through your feet and land in a pushup shape on the mat.

My advise. Cast to a round (hollow), hold the round then stretch at the bottom, then round (hollow) past the bar, drop 1 arm (like skipping a rail on the monkey bars) (drop right arm for right turning shoot-over), catch the bar on the way up. I phrase it "round, stretch, round, 1-2. Watch the bar as early as possible. I suspect you are piking then opening to an arch position. Or tring to tap which will make it travle either forward or too high. Does your coach give you any advise?

My coach tells me im not turning soon enough, and that I need to get inverted

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back