NCAA Xcel to college bound (Division 3)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anybody know if your xcel if you can go to college for gymnastics. I started gymnastics late and started competing my 8th grade year with a roundoff hs hs, no kip, no flyaway, (I had like no skills I couldn't even do a cartwheel on bea) and was my first year competing. But now I have a front full and ro hs back full on floor. I have a punch front 1 1/2 onto a fluffy matt on floor and also a fronttuck step out ro hs full. I have a tsuk pike on vault (which I only got to compete once in hs gymnastics this year, but my bars and beam is a lot lower. I only have a roundoff on beam but ill have my backtuck and bhs when I stop getting scared of high beam and move it up from low beam to high beam (I do 2 foot bhs instead of step out) My bars I have a kip handstand freehip, kip handstand piourette, and im working my giants right now which I hope to compete for states this szn, if not then I will have them before the summer. I worked paks last summer but i only did them with a spot and a mat over low bar, and I have not been able to work them since the summer but I plan working them again this summer at IGC camp. I was going to be Joga 3 this year but then I had to switch teams last minute and i'm right now for this season on USAIGC Silver. so this szn i wasn't able to compete my frontfull or tsuk pike. So right now this season I have to compete a fhs vault, and only my backfull on floor which is a little disappointing. and bars, I cant compete a pirouette so I compete a handstand freehip. Im currently a sophomore in high school and my graduation year is 2026, I know im nowhere's near good enough for division 1, which is why I am really trying to go division 3 and I have improved a lot in 2 years, so I'm not really sure how much ill improve in the next 2 years but I love my sport a lot which I believe helps me improve fast, and im not someone thats ever said I wanted to quit. I also don't want to get my hopes up for anything so if anyone knows please let me know!! I know my bars and beam arent so great but vault and floor my skills are higher. I really want to be noticed some divison 3 schools So I do have a gymnastics instagram with my grad years although it does not have many followers, On the other hand, I have a gymnastics tiktok account that has over 15k followers, but I doubt colleges really look for gymnasts there. Anyway, If anyone has any advice or answers to any of this, let me know!!

Does anybody know if your xcel if you can go to college for gymnastics. I started gymnastics late and started competing my 8th grade year with a roundoff hs hs, no kip, no flyaway, (I had like no skills I couldn't even do a cartwheel on bea) and was my first year competing. But now I have a front full and ro hs back full on floor. I have a punch front 1 1/2 onto a fluffy matt on floor and also a fronttuck step out ro hs full. I have a tsuk pike on vault (which I only got to compete once in hs gymnastics this year, but my bars and beam is a lot lower. I only have a roundoff on beam but ill have my backtuck and bhs when I stop getting scared of high beam and move it up from low beam to high beam (I do 2 foot bhs instead of step out) My bars I have a kip handstand freehip, kip handstand piourette, and im working my giants right now which I hope to compete for states this szn, if not then I will have them before the summer. I worked paks last summer but i only did them with a spot and a mat over low bar, and I have not been able to work them since the summer but I plan working them again this summer at IGC camp. I was going to be Joga 3 this year but then I had to switch teams last minute and i'm right now for this season on USAIGC Silver. so this szn i wasn't able to compete my frontfull or tsuk pike. So right now this season I have to compete a fhs vault, and only my backfull on floor which is a little disappointing. and bars, I cant compete a pirouette so I compete a handstand freehip. Im currently a sophomore in high school and my graduation year is 2026, I know im nowhere's near good enough for division 1, which is why I am really trying to go division 3 and I have improved a lot in 2 years, so I'm not really sure how much ill improve in the next 2 years but I love my sport a lot which I believe helps me improve fast, and im not someone thats ever said I wanted to quit. I also don't want to get my hopes up for anything so if anyone knows please let me know!! I know my bars and beam arent so great but vault and floor my skills are higher. I really want to be noticed some divison 3 schools So I do have a gymnastics instagram with my grad years although it does not have many followers, On the other hand, I have a gymnastics tiktok account that has over 15k followers, but I doubt colleges really look for gymnasts there. Anyway, If anyone has any advice or answers to any of this, let me know!!
Reading this your beam and bars I’m gonna be honest no shot, by sophomore year you wanna be around level 9 and/or USAIGC platinum so you can get a year of level 10/premiere before going D3. Now your vault and floor there is a shot. If you can twist the tsuk d3 will almost definitely put you in a line up. Floor there gonna look for a 10.0 SV so at minimum a level 10 routine but luckily in d3 all front tumbling routines are more common! I’ve seen some with a rudi to stag jump and a front layout front full as the tumbling passes so you’re headed in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck I’m going for D3 in college to (currently a freshman) gymnastics is hard and loving the sport can’t do it all but it’ll sure help you in having a good shot!

Reading this your beam and bars I’m gonna be honest no shot, by sophomore year you wanna be around level 9 and/or USAIGC platinum so you can get a year of level 10/premiere before going D3. Now your vault and floor there is a shot. If you can twist the tsuk d3 will almost definitely put you in a line up. Floor there gonna look for a 10.0 SV so at minimum a level 10 routine but luckily in d3 all front tumbling routines are more common! I’ve seen some with a rudi to stag jump and a front layout front full as the tumbling passes so you’re headed in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck I’m going for D3 in college to (currently a freshman) gymnastics is hard and loving the sport can’t do it all but it’ll sure help you in having a good shot!
yes I know I have no shot with bars and beam so i’m really trying to get my floor and vault up, i already have a front full and for high school gymnastics i was competing frontfull dive roll my freshman year and also my sophomore year, and i am currently. a sophomore rn. and i’ve done a front 1 1/2 on floor with a soft matt there. but i’m not doing usaigc next year bc there’s no platinums and barely any golds so i want to do xcel. do you know what xcel level i should be by senior year, im either gonna be put on diamand or saphire but probaly xcel diamond

A lot of teams post videos on social media so you might want to follow some DIII gymnastic teams for colleges that you might consider going to. Then you can see what skills they are probably looking for.
I'm not sure if there is college recruiting with Xcel gymnasts. Maybe someone else can give you an answer on that. If you want to do some research, you could look at the college rosters and check mymeetscores.com to see if any did Xcel. I would also talk to your coach to see what help they can offer.
There is also college club gymnastics and acro & tumbling to consider.

yes I know I have no shot with bars and beam so i’m really trying to get my floor and vault up, i already have a front full and for high school gymnastics i was competing frontfull dive roll my freshman year and also my sophomore year, and i am currently. a sophomore rn. and i’ve done a front 1 1/2 on floor with a soft matt there. but i’m not doing usaigc next year bc there’s no platinums and barely any golds so i want to do xcel. do you know what xcel level i should be by senior year, im either gonna be put on diamand or saphire but probaly xcel diamond
Sapphire would be needed almost definitely. In diamond there is difficulty restrictions I believe.

Why not look at Acrobatics and Tumbling? You could be D1 if that matters to you, all the way through D3 and there's even an NAIA program. It's growing and there's money in it for college.

You could probably compete on a club team at a college …. Or, I don’t know where you are located, Rhode Island College has competed with gymnasts who were levels 6-7 and Xcel, so you might look at that school.

You could probably compete on a club team at a college …. Or, I don’t know where you are located, Rhode Island College has competed with gymnasts who were levels 6-7 and Xcel, so you might look at that school.
not anymore. RIC has been competing much higher routines over the past few years. Definitely L9 and mostly L10.

I definitely recommend looking into college club/NAIGC teams! Depending on the school you're at it's not unheard of for some of the athletes on those teams to be verging on NCAA level but there's also a lot of range and flexibility for skills or events you feel less confident on

This post may provide some useful information for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xcel Sapphire is the new program that is around level 9 skill level, if you can get there by next year, you might be able to go to a D3 program, or you could walk on to one. Utica has girls that are around level 8/9 it seems so you might be good there.

You might explore the Acro and Tumbling Programs that are growing at many D2 and D3 schools. Your tumbling skills would be good enough, and the programs are growing more prominent lately.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back