shoot throughs!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Think about pushing down on the bar and lifting your hips up. Keep your shoulders forward over the bar when you reach your front leg through. When you get this feeling of pushing your hips up and your shoulders forward, practice the shoot-through until your body remembers the motion. Remember to stay pushed up all the way through the motion.

Stand on a box/or mat stack at a low bar so that you can keep one foot on the box/mat stack and do the "shoot thru" action with the other foot between your arms and extend leg out in front and then bring the foot/leg back out between the arms to a stand again, over and over again to create some muscle memory of the actual shooting action.

You can also do it on the floor with a floor bar from push-up position. Holding the bar w/ both hands tuck the leg through and back many times.

If your issue is falling backwards try marking an "x" on the mat in front of the bar to look at while you are casting and shooting through to help you lean forward over the bar.

In a standing position, arms down as if holding the bar, bring your dominant leg tucked up to your abdomen and then agressively forward as if doing the shoot through. Thigh to the belly with leg tucked up tight and then foot forward.

Good luck!

This is going to sound really simple, but I had the same problem. I used to just draw an X with chalk on the mat in front of the bar, and then looked at it when I did the shoot through. Btw, it also helped me a lot in my sqaut on. After you do this for some time you will get used to looking at it and eventually you will automatically keep your shoulders forward over the bar, so you can make these skills. Hope this works for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back