Parents Should we change gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Torimom12

Proud Parent
My DD started training level 7 this summer, she seems to be doing very well. My concern is that the gym she is at hasn't trained above level 9. The last girls trained and competed level 9 for more then 4 years. Could I expect my DD to do the same? Or should I look for a new gym? I'm confused about what to do....help!

Well, looks like you have some hard questions to ask yourself and your dd. How old is she?

- What are her goals in the sport?
- If she has college gymnastics in her sights, then she is going to have to be a solid Lvl 10 for a couple of years by her sophomore year in high school. She will have to be at a gym that can get her there.
- If she doesn't have college gym in her eyes and is just willing to go as far as possible, then that is a different solution.
- If she like her coaches and the gym and doesn't want to move, then that would seem to limit what she can do.

After she expresses her goals, you then need to sit down with her coaches and discuss those goals and see if they can get her there. If not, move.

Good Luck.

Well, looks like you have some hard questions to ask yourself and your dd. How old is she?

- What are her goals in the sport?
- If she has college gymnastics in her sights, then she is going to have to be a solid Lvl 10 for a couple of years by her sophomore year in high school. She will have to be at a gym that can get her there.
- If she doesn't have college gym in her eyes and is just willing to go as far as possible, then that is a different solution.
- If she like her coaches and the gym and doesn't want to move, then that would seem to limit what she can do.

After she expresses her goals, you then need to sit down with her coaches and discuss those goals and see if they can get her there. If not, move.

Good Luck.
I agree with all of this.

I was afraid of this answer.
She is 10y, loves the sport, talks about being a Florida Gator! So that answers a lot right there, huh?
The next closest gym around us is about 45 mins away but who knows where she will measure up there....it's a pretty tough gym! She loves her gym, the coaches and the girls. I guess I need to have a serious discussion with my DD and try and figure out what to do.
Thanks for the advice!!

I was afraid of this answer.
She is 10y, loves the sport, talks about being a Florida Gator! So that answers a lot right there, huh?
The next closest gym around us is about 45 mins away but who knows where she will measure up there....it's a pretty tough gym! She loves her gym, the coaches and the girls. I guess I need to have a serious discussion with my DD and try and figure out what to do.
Thanks for the advice!!
Talk to her gym about her aspirations. She is young and a lot can happen at your current gym over the next 8 years.

Things to consider -
- what kind of hours are your gyms current level 9 doing
- how do your optional girls score compared to other gyms in your area
- bars, bars, bars.... Becomes an issue as you get higher in terms of coaching
- are there no 10s due to lack of coaching ability or ability of current gymnasts at that level, there is a difference

What every one said.

You really need to talk to your coaches first.

We only had one L9 recently and she just left as a junior to do varsity diving. Clearly she was not going to make it to L10 in time for college. Injuries were probably more the issues then lack of talent or work. But our gym has had L10s, and has had Div 1 and 3 athletes, some gym, some other sports. Their philosophy is they teach gymnastics not tricks and they train them so college athletics is possible.

So highest we now have is L7 maybe 8, not sure where the older girls are going to shake out.

My daughters group have a very strong group of girls so they have been fast tracked a bit, I also think the coaches are more comfortable with new levels vs the old.

My daughter has not desire to do college gym so I am not concerned about levels. But if she did I know this gym could get her there, whether they would want to (its more work for them too) I don't know. But if my kid did have those kind of aspirations I would sit down with the coaches. But then I trust them enough that if they didn't want to help get her there, they would direct me to a gym that would.

Generally speaking, if your gym has been around a while and has never had a L10 athlete go on to NCAA gym, your dd is not likely to be the first. Sadly, there seems to be a shortage of coaches who can prepare athletes to be competitive at L9 and L10, particularly in bars and vault. Sometimes, there is an ebb and flow, and the number of girls at a high level will dwindle due to injury, other interests, etc. You may not see a level 10 every year if the program is fairly small, but you will see consistent success at L8+. Our entire community of 5+ gyms had not seen a successful L10 in years. New, amazing coach in town, and two years later we have 5 girls training for L10 who will be very competitive at that level. Coaching matters...a lot!

As far as your dd's potential to be successful, Kipper's gym has a reputation for being "tough". It's not a good fit for everyone. BUT, lots of these kids (including mine) would be mediocre in another program, and have excelled in this one. You mention that the other program available to you is tough. We heard so many rumor's about Kipper's gym that I almost didn't take her to try it out. I didn't think she would have enough talent to measure up, and would be ignored or belittled, etc. Boy was I wrong! So, we commute nearly 40 minutes and pass 2 gyms along the way who sound a lot like yours. It's worth it for me to know Kipper is getting the best coaching available . The rest is up to her.

I'm not necessarily encouraging you to change gyms. That's a tough decision and you need to consider so many things. I would just hate for the reason you stay to be: a) the coaches/owner convince you they can help your dd meet her goals without providing any evidence of doing so in the past or b) You worry about your dd "measuring up" to the kids in the tougher program.

To original poster, probably.

Similar to:

If grandpa is getting a hip replacement you want him to go to a place that does hundreds a year, not a handful.

If you are getting a huge event catered, you probably want someone who has done it many times and has a good reputation, not someone who has only done dinners with 20 guests.

So unless they have or are investing in experienced upper optional coaches at your current gym, you might want to consider a gym that has coached dozens of level 10s rather than one that has had one or two level nines over the years.

Many level 10 teams at regionals/nationals have a significant percentage of kids who switched to their gym level 7 or 8. Even in the best of gym circumstances, gymnastics has a very high injury rate. Experienced coaches and the right equipment, pits etc. matter. I would want newer optional coaches who are being mentored and partnered with more experienced level 10 coaches, not the hit or miss approach..

To original poster, probably.

.... I would want newer optional coaches who are being mentored and partnered with more experienced level 10 coaches, not the hit or miss approach..

THIS!!! Times 100!!!

Our daughter, in a big name gym, basically lost her first Level 10 year due to an unexpected coaching change. The new coach was young, didn't understand the CoP (for full 10.0 SV), couldn't offer meaningful corrections, and more. My daughter lost confidence in her coach and had no problem asking for a change. When the gym wouldn't help, we moved.

Agree with all of the above, but also take into account the history of the gym. If one ONLY looked at the past year or two of our gym, it would look as if we arent successfully getting to L10. The reality is that we are probably the strictest gym in the area and our HC wont allow anyone to compete a level theyre not ready for, which includes several gymnasts who ended up leaving at L8-9 because coach wouldnt relent and let them compete 10 without OUR minimum requirements. We have had many successful L10 and have several current college gymnasts, justnot in the past year or two ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back