WAG Simone and adhd

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
....anyone else read the article about the drug testing getting hacked, and people finding put Simone had clearance to take medicine on the banned list due to adhd? I loved her tweets afterwards. And it should give hope to those whose children have adhd and do gymnastics. :)

I'll have to look at that, but I have ADHD1 and I remember hearing that drugs for that are on the banned list, made me upset. Hopefully the understanding of the medicine and how vital it is (to those with a prescription) will become more apparent and will be more accepted!

I have one...........he wants to be a pilot.....and yes, Meds are NOT ok if your are a pilot.......makes me scared when I fly!

They are rightly on the banned list. They are all stimulant based.

There are many medications for common ailments on the banned list, Like asthma inhalers that contain steroids.

Acceptance and understanding of conditions are not related to if medication is on the banned list.

They are rightly on the banned list. They are all stimulant based aren't they.
As someone who takes the medication, there is no way I can fathom how this would give anyone an advantage toward athletic ability.

When I take it, it makes me normal, makes me able to focus, as I'm not able to focus correctly without it.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult because my mom never wanted to put me on medication. She would just say "just try harder to pay attention and you will" frustrated me to no end. You wouldn't tell a blind person to squint so they could see better right?

Once I finally was prescribed the medicine, the best way to describe it, is that I've always had that part of my brain there, the medicine just opened the door and enabled me to use it.

It doesn't make you super human, it's not a steroid, I'm sure she can do all her tricks without it....you just don't feel yourself when you aren't on the medicine.

So difficult to explain so I hope I'm making sense.

As someone who takes the medication, there is no way I can fathom how this would give anyone an advantage toward athletic ability.

When I take it, it makes me normal, makes me able to focus, as I'm not able to focus correctly without it.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult because my mom never wanted to put me on medication. She would just say "just try harder to pay attention and you will" frustrated me to no end. You wouldn't tell a blind person to squint so they could see better right?

Once I finally was prescribed the medicine, the best way to describe it, is that I've always had that part of my brain there, the medicine just opened the door and enabled me to use it.

It doesn't make you super human, it's not a steroid, I'm sure she can do all her tricks without it....you just don't feel yourself when you aren't on the medicine.

As a parent to 2 children with ADHD I appreciate the way you described this. It makes me feel better about giving my kids medication for it.

I love Simone even more!! I work with many ADHD kids and often am in the position of diagnosing, explaining the diagnosis and recommending medication tx if appropriate. I love that I now have another celebrity that has accomplished amazing feats to be an example and role model. My new latest intro to kids when I am educating them on ADHD will now be "did you know you are like Simone Biles?" (Accompanied of course with a cool video of an amazing tumbling pass)
As far as Ritalin being on the banned list, I also completely understand that as well, since stimulant meds work the opposite in ADHD brain than a non-ADHD brain. So I am glad there is a system in place for athletes who are ADHD to have it approved, yet I understand the general ban because unfortunately stimulant meds are abused by people who do not have ADHD, just the sad reality. Oh, and for all of you posting or stumbling across this thread who have ADHD or ADHD kiddos, if you haven't heard of ADDitudemag.com it is a great website with lots of good information.

I love Simone even more!! I work with many ADHD kids and often am in the position of diagnosing, explaining the diagnosis and recommending medication tx if appropriate. I love that I now have another celebrity that has accomplished amazing feats to be an example and role model. My new latest intro to kids when I am educating them on ADHD will now be "did you know you are like Simone Biles?" (Accompanied of course with a cool video of an amazing tumbling pass)
As far as Ritalin being on the banned list, I also completely understand that as well, since stimulant meds work the opposite in ADHD brain than a non-ADHD brain. So I am glad there is a system in place for athletes who are ADHD to have it approved, yet I understand the general ban because unfortunately stimulant meds are abused by people who do not have ADHD, just the sad reality. Oh, and for all of you posting or stumbling across this thread who have ADHD or ADHD kiddos, if you haven't heard of ADDitudemag.com it is a great website with lots of good information.
Oh I totally agree on the ban for those who'd abuse it, I guess I figured there was a ban even for those with a prescription.

I'm totally going to start telling people I'm JUST like Simone Bikes now :p

As a mom with 2 kids with ADHD I can tell you neither child could learn correctly prior to meds. My daughter still requires more time practicing to learn the same things as her non adhd teammates. If my daughter didnt have the ability to hyperfocus I am sure she would have given the gym up by now. Both suffer from anxiety RT ADHD. For those that truly have the proper dx life everyday can be really hard. There is no advantage just the ability to concentrate. 1 day this summer she forgot her med before gym. Kept falling from beam wanted to do things she wasnt ready for and the coaches had to stay on her the whole practice to keep her safe. On the med she is the opposite in very tentative to try anything scary. I always worried if she wasn't allowed to take when older she might break something.

When my son was 8, and was diagnosed and ADHD and given Meds......after a few day of crying my eyes out, and feeling like I failed him somehow.......
In the years following he explained it this way......
'Before when I would vault, I would wait my turn and the coach would give the instructions.....then, I would notice the crying kid in the waiting room and his pacifier on the floor.....then I would see the leak in the ceiling, and the kid misbehaving in another group....then I would think about something that happened at school.......THEN it was my turn to vault, and I had forgotten everything I was supposed to do. '
After Meds, he was able to listen to the coach, and perform what was asked WITH NO BACKGROUND OVERLOAD of useless information.....
I don't see how that gives him an edge.....it's gave him the ability to process information....that's all.....
I still call it a 'special ability' but one that requires years of control to master......he processes 10x the information in half the time....
Simone is amazing....and maybe even more so now that I know she has had to deal with ADHD......
What an amazing young lady....

One if my daughters friends with adhd. When the meds wear off, here is what
She is capable of...... Playing in with the foam blocks in the pits. On meds she can participate in training and do her routines. And I hate to say this because she is sweet and loves gymnastics, she is the worst(skill wise) on team. She has no competive edge from the meds, just the ability to stay on task.

The difference is that she went through the appropriate procedure to get an exemption. Go Simone!

Ditto. Also, Simone was diagnosed as a child and has been taking medication for this condition since she was a child... way before anyone had a clue that she was going to be winning world championships. Her parents seem like very caring, loving and capable parents who would not make the decision for going on meds lightly. When she did start doing major competitions, she went through the proper channels for a therapeutic use exception, complete with appropriate medical documentation that went back for years before she ever became a world class athlete.

For Serena, she has an autoimmune disease. Prednisone is the only thing that will calm down flares of most autoimmune disease.

These athletes had true medical conditions that were properly documented, applied for TUEs with proper documentation, and were approved for said TUEs in advance of their competitions. In other words, they followed the rules. I don't see what the controversy is.

Ditto. Also, Simone was diagnosed as a child and has been taking medication for this condition since she was a child... way before anyone had a clue that she was going to be winning world championships. Her parents seem like very caring, loving and capable parents who would not make the decision for going on meds lightly. When she did start doing major competitions, she went through the proper channels for a therapeutic use exception, complete with appropriate medical documentation that went back for years before she ever became a world class athlete.

For Serena, she has an autoimmune disease. Prednisone is the only thing that will calm down flares of most autoimmune disease.

These athletes had true medical conditions that were properly documented, applied for TUEs with proper documentation, and were approved for said TUEs in advance of their competitions. In other words, they followed the rules. I don't see what the controversy is.
The only controversy is the Russian hacking of this information.

Makes total sense. They still need to be on the banned list , it would not be right for anyone to be able to take them. Ditto with Steroid type medication

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back