WAG Skiing and Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know this may seem like kind of a vague question, but I was wondering if gymnastics and skiing are a good mix. I'm most likely going to be an Xcel Platinum gymnast this competitive season. I also want to try some ski lessons. What I'm asking is, is this a good idea? I've heard skiing doesn't work very well for gymnasts. It's probably not the most preferred sport for gymnasts to do, but I just want some opinions on this :)

All 3 if my kids started asking before they were 3. (Before starting gymnastics.). They are all really good skiiers. DS would likely choose ski team over gymnastics if we lived somewhere that actually got snow.

If we lived closer to skiing, we'd probably have at least 1 competitive skier instead of or in addition to gymnastics. My two gymnast kids were gifted little skiers before discovering gym. We do ski a couple times or more a year. Not particularly dangerous if you stay within your own limits and in control. Ski and enjoy life!!! Nothing like riding fresh powder!! :cool:

what type of skiing? Cross Country, down hill, aerialist? There are so many different forms of skiing. There used to be a member here who's girls were both avid skiers and the older dd was also an optional gymnast. The 2 complimented each other so well that she combined the 2 sports and is now an Aerial skier with great success. She is U.S. Freestyle Aerials Team, National Team Member. I believe there is another thread about her on here recently.

what type of skiing? Cross Country, down hill, aerialist? There are so many different forms of skiing. There used to be a member here who's girls were both avid skiers and the older dd was also an optional gymnast. The 2 complimented each other so well that she combined the 2 sports and is now an Aerial skier with great success. She is U.S. Freestyle Aerials Team, National Team Member. I believe there is another thread about her on here recently.

Down Hill. That's interesting...

DD also skis, but it is harder for us to find the time now with practice on Saturdays and meet season coming up. But she is an awesome skier because of gym. She's not terribly adventurous (unlike my DS), so it's more leisurely for her. But she has amazing control and balance, can stop at anytime on any trail. And when she falls, it's nothing to get back up. I'd definitely recommend trying it.

I hadn't really thought about it but I can see how gymnastics helps for skiing.
Are you having beginner ski lessons? I think the learning to ski bit is tough on the body, you'll ache in places you never knew you had, but hopefully the gymnastics background will help with that.

Many of the Australian aerial skiers are ex-gymnasts. Australians don't typically excel in winter sports (we don't really have much snow here in Australia!) so we're very proud of our consistently medal-winning aerial skiers. The fact that they often made a pathway from gymnastics to aerial makes us think of them even more highly!

I think you should try it! I don't believe skiing would have any negative effect in gymnastics as it's not teaching you to tumble sloppy or something like that!

Should be fine, but never hurts to check with your coach. We ask that our L7's and above try and refrain from outside activities like skiing during their competitive season. :)

My gymnast dd is a much more natural and agile skier than my boys. I will never forget taking them for the first time and my ds and his friend were clinging to the tow-rope for dear life to get back up the hill. Then, here comes dd casually holding the tow rope with one hand and waving and yelling "dad! dad! get me on video" I think the core strength served her well with downhill skiing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back