Gymnasts Skills for level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was planning to compete level 6 this season, but I still needed my flyaway. At this point I have all my other skills for 6 accept my flyaway. At one point I was close to getting it but then I fell and hit my feet on the bar, that was last year, and I’m still afraid of doing it. If anybody can tell me any drills or things that they did to get their flyaway that would be great! Thanks!!

Hi! I am on xcel gold and have similar skills to yours. I’m sure your coaches have said this but one tip is to fly in the air for just a second before tucking. Do not tuck while still holding onto the bar, it will for sure cause you to either hit your feet on the bar or wind up very close to the bar. A drill you could do is hollow tuck ups, which is laying down on your back in a hollow and then quickly tucking if you didn’t already know what those were.

I was planning to compete level 6 this season, but I still needed my flyaway. At this point I have all my other skills for 6 accept my flyaway. At one point I was close to getting it but then I fell and hit my feet on the bar, that was last year, and I’m still afraid of doing it. If anybody can tell me any drills or things that they did to get their flyaway that would be great! Thanks!!
You can do the drill where you let go and roll onto the wedge mat. we set ours up at the pit bar so it takes a while to get it all situated but I think it helps for sure! and if you are short, you may able to raise the low bar all the way up and do them with a spot on the low bar which is how some other girls at my gym learn them (i didn’t because i was too tall). Also at pit bar, let go in a candle stick shape and land on your back! this is the only drill I ever did to learn my flyaway so I would say it is extremely helpful!

You can do the drill where you let go and roll onto the wedge mat. we set ours up at the pit bar so it takes a while to get it all situated but I think it helps for sure! and if you are short, you may able to raise the low bar all the way up and do them with a spot on the low bar which is how some other girls at my gym learn them (i didn’t because i was too tall). Also at pit bar, let go in a candle stick shape and land on your back! this is the only drill I ever did to learn my flyaway so I would say it is extremely helpful!
Great tip! My gym uses this too and I found it very helpful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back