Parents Slippery Rope.. Scary Fast Descent For My 4 Year Old DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 4 year old has been climbing the rope to the top for over a year now with no problems. Last week she said the rope was slippery at the top. Today she climbed the rope to the top and lost her grip. She came down really really fast but managed to keep one hand on the rope to slow her descent. She has a pretty nice rope burn on her wrist and a tiny one on her leg. She hit hard on the ground but got up and walked away without crying ( This is the girl that broke her wrist but continued training on it for an entire week.) She said she chalked up before the rope but I am wondering why it has recently become slippery. Do they get like that with age or is it my DD's hands? It was the very beginning of practice so she wasn't overtired. Do ropes get slippery for certain reasons like being dirty or overused? She is not the only one complaining so I am leaning toward the rope. Any suggestions?

My 4 year old has been climbing the rope to the top for over a year now with no problems. Last week she said the rope was slippery at the top. Today she climbed the rope to the top and lost her grip. She came down really really fast but managed to keep one hand on the rope to slow her descent. She has a pretty nice rope burn on her wrist and a tiny one on her leg. She hit hard on the ground but got up and walked away without crying ( This is the girl that broke her wrist but continued training on it for an entire week.) She said she chalked up before the rope but I am wondering why it has recently become slippery. Do they get like that with age or is it my DD's hands? It was the very beginning of practice so she wasn't overtired. Do ropes get slippery for certain reasons like being dirty or overused? She is not the only one complaining so I am leaning toward the rope. Any suggestions?

Yes, ropes do get slippery with too much use. My gymmie dropped from the top of one when she was a L5. Was all the way at the top, raised 1 hand up to tap the hook and the other hand slipped. The only thing that saved her was having her legs around the rope. Boy, she had a very nasty rope burn on the inside of her leg. 2 days later a girl in the rec league program had the same thing happen only she ended up with rope burns on both hands. Before I could get in to discuss the condition of the rope, a new one had replaced it.

Oh my goodness, how scary!! Poor little thing. :eek:

At least she got up, dusted off and kept going. I have no doubt that her confidence wont be broken either. She sounds like a tough cookie!

I'm so glad that the rope is over the pit at Pixie's gym. I can't imagine sitting there watching your baby come down like that! My heart would have come out of my throat, ahHH!! lol!

How scary. Our rope is usually over a big huge mat, but the pit sounds like a great idea. Abby climbs with feet to the side and when she touches the top, it scares me that she could slip while only holding on with one hand.

Rope burn is no fun. Sounds like you have a tough little gymmie. :D

Oh my goodness, how scary!! Poor little thing. :eek:

At least she got up, dusted off and kept going. I have no doubt that her confidence wont be broken either. She sounds like a tough cookie!

I'm so glad that the rope is over the pit at Pixie's gym. I can't imagine sitting there watching your baby come down like that! My heart would have come out of my throat, ahHH!! lol!

We have three ropes (1 knotted and 2 not) and all three are over the pit. We tie them out of the way when not in use.

I am glad your little one is okay - how painful!

Not to scare you, but this is how DD fractured her heel last year!! She said rope was slippery and she just lost her grip and dropped off too soon and right onto heel. Old gym had moved locations and ropes only had small mat under them. Prior to that they were over tumble trak. Daughter's new gym has them over foam pit area which I am thankful for. DD loves the rope and has been climbing since about 4 too, but I wish more gyms put them over foam pits or heavily padded areas. It's a shame my DD had to hurt herself doing a conditioning thing and not actual gymnastics itself.

I never thought a rope would be slippery. Last night on they way to Gym I asked Morgan if the rope at her Gym is ever slippery. I was surprised when she said, Yep, the white one. I hate that rope. then she finished by saying, you'd think they would put a mat under it. I may have to ask about that at the Gym.

I am sorry your DD has such a scare. Keep an eye on those rope burns. Morgan got a nasty one last summer on the top her her foot and ende dup with a bad infection.

Those rope burns really hurt, she was very brave.

At our gym it is compulsory for a crashmat to be placed underneath if gymnasts are climbing the rope.

It would be really dangerous to fall that far with no crashy.

Broken bones take a lot longer to heal than rope burns.

We do have a crash mat under the rope. I about died when I saw her fall that fast because it was from the ceiling and she came down so fast with just one hand on the rope. I really can't believe she only got a really nasty rope burn on her wrist/arm. I also am thankful that she was smart enough and strong enough to not let go. She suffered a broken wrist just months ago from a fall on bars. Most kids her age and weight are still in the preschool area playing in the foam pit and taking potty breaks. Her coach wouldn't let any of the kids near the rope today because she still hasn't recovered from watching her fall. She earned the nickname "The Beast" earlier so I guess it fits. I talked to her pediatrician about treating her rope burn so right now it is under control.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back