So Much Hair, Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has so much hair, thick blonde and down to her bottom. Yes, we keep cutting it and it just keeps growing. It's like Barbie hair she tells me. She always has these little hairs at the front of her hairline that keep growing in.:eek: She stops in the middle of her bar routine to brush them aside. I know how to do a every hairstyle imaginable but I need a product that glues these little hairs down for competition and probably for practice too. Any ideas for products that glue little hairs down would be worth trying. Thanks!

I've found with my daughters hair that a combination of both mousse and spray gel works well. Also tying her hair back when it is damp helps heaps, either after a shower or else spraying like crazy with a water filled spray bottle, then lots of product, style and finish with hairspray.
For the little hairs at the front, something like an anti frizz serum (look for one for curly hair, it is like a thick, sort of oily liquid) may help them to stick down better.

For training I don't bother too much, but for comp hairdo's she has a bucket load of product in there.

Last edited:
I use Aussie Spray Gel and the Freeze hair spray. I only do this for meets though. I just let her hair do whatever during practice.

Yes, gel spray works well. My dd has very fine long hair and those little baby hairs are constantly falling in her face. For meets, I usually stray her hair with water and then spray in some gel. Then I use those tiny little rubber bands and section off the front in a "spiderweb". There may be some pics in some other threads on here for examples. The flat clips also work well and seem to stay in better than bobby pins.

For meets I do both of my daughters' hair while it is damp (usually 2 french braids.) Then I gel it and spray it with with Aquanet-LOL! It is probably the cheapest spray out there but holds better than anything I have tried-For 4 years both of my girls have finished every meet looking exactly as they started it :)

We use the gel spray and hairspray combo for competition, and the hair goes hard! Looks very neat but it is funny taking it out as the hair is solid!

Looks very neat but it is funny taking it out as the hair is solid!

LOL, dd's coach requests hair "so hard that you can tap it!"... last comp dd had two plaited buns, at the end of the day I took out all the bobby pins, ribbons and bun nets and her hair still sat perfectly in two buns for at least an hour afterwards.

My daughter has so much hair, thick blonde and down to her bottom. Yes, we keep cutting it and it just keeps growing. It's like Barbie hair she tells me. She always has these little hairs at the front of her hairline that keep growing in.:eek: She stops in the middle of her bar routine to brush them aside. I know how to do a every hairstyle imaginable but I need a product that glues these little hairs down for competition and probably for practice too. Any ideas for products that glue little hairs down would be worth trying. Thanks!

Until last month when DD cut her hair my DD's hair was down to her bottom too and very thick.

When we did her hair it was always in a bun. Bring everything up to a high ponytail. Then divide the pony tail into at least 4 parts. Braid each part seperately so you have a pony tail with 4 braids. Now get the maximum hold hair spray the one we found works the best is called "Freeze It" It holds really well. and spray the braids and smooth down any fly aways in the braid this will also help stick the braid together in the next step. Then wrap the braids one at a time aroun the base of the pony tail and pin in with just one pin. Once all are pinned in give bun another spray then put a bun cover over the bun and pin it at the base of the bun cover so the pins go under the elastic of the pony tail.

Now take hair spray and fine comb spray heavy on the rest of the hair in small areas at a time and gently comb the hair in the direction you want it to go until it sticks. Then take clips and clip the areas where there are long bits. Usually about 1 - 2 inches from the pony I do a complete circle.

My DD has actually had this done the night before slept on it and gone to school then a meet that night and it stayed in without the need to touch it up. That Freeze IT spray is great and washes out easily.

For practice however I don't spray those flyaways are ok for practice and if there are some bigger ones that DD plays with I just clip those up so she cant play with them. The bun done like this also keep that ponytail up and not slipping out.

for practice:
I run a damp brush through dd's hair. Put it in a pony and then put gel on my hands and slick it back. Works well.

For meets:
I use a product called Got to be Glued!

You can find it at CVS, Kmart etc. It takes care of all the flyaways. Then I go over the hairdo with their freeze hair spray>

Nothing Moves!!!!

Just like 4nsmom

Gel first, then Aqua net- there is nothing stronger. And it washes out easier than some of the hair glues and hair pastes.

for practice:
I run a damp brush through dd's hair. Put it in a pony and then put gel on my hands and slick it back. Works well.

For meets:
I use a product called Got to be Glued!

You can find it at CVS, Kmart etc. It takes care of all the flyaways. Then I go over the hairdo with their freeze hair spray>

Nothing Moves!!!!

I use this too!! Its great, i have super thick hair with lots of layers, and it stays, even after I take my pony tail out, if you look from the front you can't tell that its not held in anymore. They make a hairspray and a gel, I only use the hairspray. If you use this you might want to use a better scented hairspray over top to mask some of the scent.

Another vote for spray gel and hairspray. My daughter's hair is really thick also and long (not as long as your daughter's but that is her goal) and we've had really good luck with it. On gymnastics days I pull her hair back when it is wet after applying the gel. Then I brush the little flyaways back and spray it with a strong hairspray. Her hair usually feels crunchy after this as the gel air-dries. It works really well and holds all day - I usually do her hair around 7 in the morning before school and her practices aren't usually until 5 p.m. (although it as 7 p.m. on Mondays) and I haven't been having to redo her hair before practice when I do it this way. Also, make sure you are using enough rubberbands. Another gym momma taught me to pull first the top section of hair up in 1 rubberband and then pull the rest up to complete the ponytail in another in order to get it to stay when the girls have thick hair. I then usually place a few of the triangle-y shaped clips in areas where there are longer flyaways just to help keep them back.

My DD also has long hair. I use liquid spray gel, it makes the hair go kind of hard and then it doesn't move. I comb back her hair into a high ponytail (or sometimes one on each side) and then spray her head with the gel and lightly comb it through the pulled back hair. You can then make buns or plait rings or whatever. I find the liquid spray-in gel much easier to use than the goopy kind of gel.

SAME PROBLEM!!! But what i do is pull my hair up in to a tight pony (using two hair ties), then get a big scrunchie and put the pony into a bun. Then i get melting gel.. it's lore'l brand (spelling). and an elastic head band. That should do it! :)

There is also a wax stick that is great for those little fine hairs around their face. It looks like a glue stick but bigger. It is great for fine tuning hair before a meet I also just started using these things I found at sally's beauty supply. Curlformers. Much faster than sponge rollers with great curls.

For practice I often do a braid across the top of my daughters head ..it lasts through school and keeps the little wisps out of her eyes. I then pull the end of the braid and the rest of her hair into a simple pony tail.

For meets I do it damp with loads of gel. Comb back into a tight pony tail, and then divide and braid it into 4 or 5 small braids. (I coat each section with gel as I go) I then wrap those around the base and pin in place, spray the whole thing then put her scrunchie around it. I plan to do this to her tonight before bed as we have to leave here at 7 am for a meet and mommy is NOT a morning person!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back