WAG Some higher level gymnastics related L9 questions!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, I'm a 13yo gymnast currently training for L9. My plans are to compete another year of 8 while working to gain and feel comfortable competing all of my L9 skills. First of all I'm wondering if the following routines would be sufficient for L9/looking into L10.

Vault - Training Front Handspring Front Tuck , RO FF 1/2 Front Tuck (both would upgrade to a pike/1/2 in the future looking to compete 10.0 SV vaults in D3 college)

Bars - Kip, Squat-On, Kip Cast Handstand 1/2 Pirouette, Pak Salto, Kip 1/2 Turn (might pirouette, ive seen this in some college routines just saves energy), Squat-On, Kip Cast Handstand, Stalder + Giant or Giant x2, Layout Flyaway 1/2 or 1/1 (should note I'll be starting training a gienger, double back dismounts and blind changes/1/1 pirouettes for L10)

Beam - Side Aerial + Backhandspring, Back Tuck, Switch Leap + Beat Jump, Full Turn, Side Straddle Jump + Tuck 3/4 + Round Off Layout Dismount (not sure if i need a twist also training a tuck half twist, thinking i may need a full?) (beam is my least favorite, not sure if i would look to be competing in college, but the only other upgrade i could add to this is a side some I'm starting training and a full turn horizontal)

Floor - Back Layout 1 1/2 + Stag Jump, Front Pike + Front Full, Double Turn, Switch Side + Straddle Jump (working towards popa), Side Aerial (my gym has a really bad floor so it does hinder training, would like to compete floor for college, but i know it's unlikely, although currently also playing with back layout 1 1/2 + front layout, front full + front full, rudi)

All this being said I'm entering high school this year I'm wondering if I it is possible to still become part of a D3 team? My ideal plan would be second year L8 this year as a freshman, and L9 for the next three years (possibly a year of ten depending on my skills). In addition, I'm on the younger side for the grade I'm entering so it's very likely with my school situation that I may do a year of community college before choosing a college so I would have 5 years till I would start D3 gymnastics.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance! I love gymnastics so much and looking forward to planning for my future.

I am too far removed from the JO/DP COP at this point to offer much insights on your routines. As far as college, is there a reason why you think you will need 3 years in L9? Has the coach already told you this? It would be best to get at least one year of L10 competition for D3, though only if you are competitive at that level, meaning 10.0 SV routines, or very close to them, with the ability to score 9s. That's not an absolute, especially if you are able to score really high on at least one event that the team is in need of (usually bars and vt), but in general coaches will want to see that you can be successful competing those skills in L10 meets before they take a chance on you.

I am too far removed from the JO/DP COP at this point to offer much insights on your routines. As far as college, is there a reason why you think you will need 3 years in L9? Has the coach already told you this? It would be best to get at least one year of L10 competition for D3, though only if you are competitive at that level, meaning 10.0 SV routines, or very close to them, with the ability to score 9s. That's not an absolute, especially if you are able to score really high on at least one event that the team is in need of (usually bars and vt), but in general coaches will want to see that you can be successful competing those skills in L10 meets before they take a chance on you.
Thank you for your response. Most likely I will go for 1-2 years of L10. My beam and floor most likely aren't a standout but a possibility. I'm fine with not competing all around though. I really enjoy vault and bars, as of right now that's the direction I'm headed in. Vault I'll have my 10.0SV by next year I'd said, and bars I would say 2 years most likely. Still gives me 2+ years to clean it up to a decent level for D3. There's multiple D3 college near me since I live in NY so I can already start showing my skills next year most likely at college camps over the summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back