WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To answer what do I want you to do. I want a coach that seems to me to be a great coach to listen to the athletes and truly consider that the things they are proclaiming have truth in them. It is cliche but I want a great coach to lead in every aspect of their field not just in the gym with their girls.

Where did you get he disbelieves any one and doesn’t listen to athletes. o_Oo_O

I would send my kid to coachp in a NY minute. Unfortunately he does live in NY. :(

Let’s take the unnamed “abusive coaches” we have been talking about in another thread. Let’s say your child has been at that gym for a few years and is a level 7-8. Owner brings in new head coaches. Probably says they have NCAA experience. If you don’t know anything about NCAA gym, you have NO IDEA there have been complaints for years and they have been let go by 2 NCAA programs! NO IDEA. Sure, I would probably google them and find out quickly but a lot of parents wouldn’t. They would just trust the owner and “the process” as we are always told. I mean, 2-3 girls left bc they came, but no one publicized why. No one told the other parents, hey...you might want to rethink this! And USAG just gave them a membership and the ability to coach at meets without a second thought! That’s where they have failed! Ok, sorry for the rant. I just don’t understand how, now, at this time, they are allowing these coaches to continue.

And that is why it keeps going on. No one wants to on the record so to speak.

And that is why it keeps going on. No one wants to on the record so to speak.

Unless you have first hand knowledge you really cannot blast the names of bad coaches across the internet. Most of us do not have that, luckily for our kids. Often those that do have first hand knowledge are trying to escape the abuse in a new gym and really know that the gym coaching world is not that forgiving, lots of inter gym friendships mean that you, and your kid, can get put on the "do not touch" list far too easily.

But maybe like the "rate my teacher" site, we need to start a "rate my gym coach" site. Anonymous, but still generally relevant.

Unless you have first hand knowledge you really cannot blast the names of bad coaches across the internet. Most of us do not have that, luckily for our kids. Often those that do have first hand knowledge are trying to escape the abuse in a new gym and really know that the gym coaching world is not that forgiving, lots of inter gym friendships mean that you, and your kid, can get put on the "do not touch" list far too easily.

But maybe like the "rate my teacher" site, we need to start a "rate my gym coach" site. Anonymous, but still generally relevant.
I understand why you can’t name names on a sight like this. That is a huge liability issue for this sight.

I was speaking about the specific situation where parents at a gym do not speak up about known issues to other parents.

Love the idea of Of a rate a coach/gym site.....

If you’re fortunate enough to leave before the abuse occurs, then there’s nothing substantial to report. If you stay, you’re likely blind to the problem.

There is a link on the USAG website to report suspected abuse. Given the huge issues that USAG is having right now, I doubt reporting on this link would have any effect. As a parent, I feel that I should be able to look up a USAG coach on their site, see if their membership is valid and was ever suspended, if there were ever complaints, and a brief employment history. It’s absurd that it’s easier for people find my minor child’s gym history and meet scores than it is for me to find the same type information about her coach.

I don’t necessarily see the harm of pinning a condensed thread containing links to published news articles or blogs on coaching issues, but I’m no lawyer.

I don’t necessarily see the harm of pinning a condensed thread containing links to published news articles or blogs on coaching issues, but I’m no lawyer.

100% you can search here and you will easily find articles about banned, or accused, coaches. We always support that. The problem is the many coaches who have really been charged with nothing, yet are actually monsters in their own right. Those are the problem.

I
There is a link on the USAG website to report suspected abuse. Given the huge issues that USAG is having right now, I doubt reporting on this link would have any effect.
My hope is that with the events of the past week and a half--especially the suspension of Geddert--more will be comfortable reporting abusive coaching to USAG.

And with the microscope USAG is under right now, I would think that they are more likely to investigate such reports, while the eyes of the world are on them, than any other time. The last thing they need is more parents and gymnasts going to the media saying their concerns are being ignored.

I would LOVE a site like that. We had a coach at our gym that I considered emotionally abusive towards gymnasts some of the time (not always but the girls never knew what mood they were going to get that day). She is FINALLY gone and once she left, the girls told more about what was said and happening during practice than they would the 3 years this coach was there. I spoke to HC and owner on one occasion about my concerns but there wasn't anything firm and some days she was great. Had the girls felt they had the ability to speak out without repercussions when this coach was there, I think she would have been gone much sooner!

The more disturbing thing is she is coaching again AND I feel she's trying to get herself into the limelight of everything going on in USAG right now and be seen as an advocate. Which I strongly believe she is for sexual abuse, but she doesn't even realize she was mentally and emotionally abusive herself. If there were a site that we could express our concerns/rate the coaches so we could at least give gym owners and other parents a heads up or have them watch closely, I would love it! Unfortunately I feel that we can't do much with this coach right now as her actions were nothing compared to the bigger topics going on. Even with this new gym owner being warned of her actions, she was still hired and is coaching girls again.

Yeah I think you did. I’m assuming you weren’t at the camp where one of Valeri’s kids got severely ill with constant diarrhea among other symptoms and he made her keep practicing? When she got back home she was badly dehydrated. That is dangerous. Just one example.

Valeri is not even that impressive a coach. He’s had several kids with huge potential but only one Olympian. And that is largely due to his bad judgment calls such as Ohashi doing the pirouettes that ruined her shoulders, and Bross doing the DTY that ruined her knee.

The Karolyis have had various allegations of being too harsh, but at least they have the Olympic results to back themselves up (and they have never been proven to have done anything like the confirmed stories about Liukin!) Valeri does not have the intuition and potential to make Champions that Márta does, he doesn’t deserve this position!

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!!!!!

This is exactly what I've been saying for a long time. He's taken many girls with great potential and ruined them physically and mentally. The only true success he's had is with his daughter, and that's probably because his ego was more involved. He's just more of the same, and he certainly hasn't changed. Not to mention, he has a complete lack of respect for women in general. Having a daughter who was a WOGA gymnast for years and knowing the parents of many of his elites, I have heard and seen a lot, and I'm not impressed.

I would LOVE a site like that. We had a coach at our gym that I considered emotionally abusive towards gymnasts some of the time (not always but the girls never knew what mood they were going to get that day). She is FINALLY gone and once she left, the girls told more about what was said and happening during practice than they would the 3 years this coach was there. I spoke to HC and owner on one occasion about my concerns but there wasn't anything firm and some days she was great. Had the girls felt they had the ability to speak out without repercussions when this coach was there, I think she would have been gone much sooner!

The more disturbing thing is she is coaching again AND I feel she's trying to get herself into the limelight of everything going on in USAG right now and be seen as an advocate. Which I strongly believe she is for sexual abuse, but she doesn't even realize she was mentally and emotionally abusive herself. If there were a site that we could express our concerns/rate the coaches so we could at least give gym owners and other parents a heads up or have them watch closely, I would love it! Unfortunately I feel that we can't do much with this coach right now as her actions were nothing compared to the bigger topics going on. Even with this new gym owner being warned of her actions, she was still hired and is coaching girls again.
I say no way. Each year parents leave on bad terms from gums everywhere. They can and do go on yelp. We have had a couple complaints on yelp because their kids didn't get accepted on team. One minute they are trying
Make team the next we are horrible and get 1 star. Even calling a coach out. By name. Last year I put a gymnast (who We raised) on probation for mistreating athletes and coaches. She quit over it and her mom sent out scathing text to numerous people about how she was sorry she trusted us to coach her kid..... this is factual , with documented track record, of years of emails and complaints from parents \kids about her So No thanks .... report to usag or owner and obviously go to the authorities for physical abuse , but an open rating system... no way

you can always do a yelp review. But an unrestricted coach ratimg web page is not a realistic option. I
Can just see it now... other gyms
Attackimg other gyms, unhappy parents posting BS... it happens, you should see and hear some of the things I hear from parents leaving, kids and parents who I know very well for years who's daughters are just struggling, yet we are always to blame. No thanks.

I say no way. Each year parents leave on bad terms from gums everywhere. They can and do go on yelp. We have had a couple complaints on yelp because their kids didn't get accepted on team. One minute they are trying
Make team the next we are horrible and get 1 star. Even calling a coach out. By name. Last year I put a gymnast (who We raised) on probation for mistreating athletes and coaches. She quit over it and her mom sent out scathing text to numerous people about how she was sorry she trusted us to coach her kid..... this is factual , with documented track record, of years of emails and complaints from parents \kids about her So No thanks .... report to usag or owner and obviously go to the authorities for physical abuse , but an open rating system... no way

you can always do a yelp review. But an unrestricted coach ratimg web page is not a realistic option. I
Can just see it now... other gyms
Attackimg other gyms, unhappy parents posting BS... it happens, you should see and hear some of the things I hear from parents leaving, kids and parents who I know very well for years who's daughters are just struggling, yet we are always to blame. No thanks.

I can definitely see the coach's side to this. There would be no way to regulate. Yes of course report actual abuse to the appropriate authorities. But what about the gray areas? There are always 3 sides to a story as a member here is fond of saying. Trying to establish and maintain a website where people can post anything, it would quickly evolve into a site where people just vent and gripe about stuff they don't like. OR, the managers of said site would somehow have to determine what constitutes abuse, no thank you! I'd have to take it with a grain of salt. For every legit complaint you'd get pages of parents upset that little Suzie isn't getting the attention she deserves.

I can definitely see the coach's side to this. There would be no way to regulate. Yes of course report actual abuse to the appropriate authorities. But what about the gray areas? There are always 3 sides to a story as a member here is fond of saying. Trying to establish and maintain a website where people can post anything, it would quickly evolve into a site where people just vent and gripe about stuff they don't like. OR, the managers of said site would somehow have to determine what constitutes abuse, no thank you! I'd have to take it with a grain of salt. For every legit complaint you'd get pages of parents upset that little Suzie isn't getting the attention she deserves.
There's no way to regulate the Rate My Prof site either and yet many people use it. As with anything, you can read the reviews with a critical eye and most times figure out how "real" the review is, plus you would look for patterns, etc. As for the concern that other gyms would create fake reviews...wow do you really hold such a low opinion of fellow coaches? I hope this would not be a huge issue :O

There's no way to regulate the Rate My Prof site either and yet many people use it. As with anything, you can read the reviews with a critical eye and most times figure out how "real" the review is, plus you would look for patterns, etc. As for the concern that other gyms would create fake reviews...wow do you really hold such a low opinion of fellow coaches? I hope this would not be a huge issue :O
Well I'm not a coach and I don't know if other coaches would create fake reviews or not. I'm more thinking in terms of unhappy parents. I suppose if people have the interest and time to wade through reviews to look for patterns, more power to them. All I'm saying is I understand why coaches and gyms would not like this because I do still believe that the majority of coaches and gyms have the kids' best interests at heart.

You can also read it with an eye to what is important to you. My DD looks for certain things repeated in professor reviews, both good and bad. She ignores the complaints about some things outright because they wouldn’t bother her. Could people abuse the space, yes, but it would probably rise above that.

I guess the question I would ask some of the parents who are witness and upset is... did you at least fill out a yelp review ? Or in one case (and surely I will get flack for saying this but....). If a surgeon recommended surgery and the coach said no, were you aware of this? If so the.why didn't you say yes ??? Not placing blame but it goes back to the whole enabling or leaving it for someone else to deal with "thing".
The problem is gymnastics has a super high drop out rate, and a lot of people leave unhappy and finger pointing. So it's a bit different. As far as gym battles , I actually watched one in yelp between two local gyms. You have no idea the depths that some (very few) will stoop to , just to get business.. or recruit .

I tend to agree that every comment on an open site is the opinion and experience of the poster. When reading open sites careful consideration must be given to the information being given and the reason why it's being offered. Gather information and make a decision that suits your own situation. I liken it to reading reviews on Amazon, you really have no idea if the person bought the item for use or are they the maker of the item and just looking to increase the product popularity.

I do not know if the rate my coach would work or if it would cause problems. If someone created it could it actually operate, are there legal issues?

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!!!!!

This is exactly what I've been saying for a long time. He's taken many girls with great potential and ruined them physically and mentally. The only true success he's had is with his daughter, and that's probably because his ego was more involved. He's just more of the same, and he certainly hasn't changed. Not to mention, he has a complete lack of respect for women in general. Having a daughter who was a WOGA gymnast for years and knowing the parents of many of his elites, I have heard and seen a lot, and I'm not impressed.
There really needs to some sort of reporting and accountability for gym and coach behavior. Not sure a rating system is the answer. Somehow adults need to be stopped from
Holding power over children.

In the case of the Penn State coaches were there are actual abuse allegations and written articles, there needs to be a way where parents, especially new to the sport have access to that’s information. Kudos to the parents who left the gym, but i really feel like the right thing to do would be to tell other team parents why you are leaving in that case. Even something as simple as, you should google the new coaches. You can’t protect against what you don’t know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back