WAG Some questions about USAG JO and Elite programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
I hope someone can help me as I am trying to understand the differences in JO and elite programs...

What is the difference between, and what are the ages for Junior Pre-elite, Junior elite and Senior Elite--and how does an athlete qualify to these levels?

I know that Senior elites are not allowed to compete in JO Level 10 meets, but are they allowed to participate in open sessions? Are Junior elites and pre-elites still allowed to compete in JO level 10 meets once they have qualified to these levels?

What is the difference between the Developmental Camps and the National Team training Camps, and who goes to these camps? What are the National qualifying meets that are held at the ranch trying to qualify for? And what are "zones"???

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

wow, to late and to tired to explain all that. it's a mouthful of answers! maybe tomorrow...:)

I can't speak with certainty, so you'll have to wait for some one else to answer the logistical questions. But here's a humorous short version of the practical differences........

Moving from JO to pre-elite........................... money you wish you didn't have to spent

Moving from pre-elite to junior elite............... money you shouldn't spend

Moving from junior elite to senior elite........... money you can't afford to spend

wow, to late and to tired to explain all that. it's a mouthful of answers! maybe tomorrow...:)

Thanks! If you get a chance I would really appreciate it :)

I can't speak with certainty, so you'll have to wait for some one else to answer the logistical questions. But here's a humorous short version of the practical differences........

Moving from JO to pre-elite........................... money you wish you didn't have to spent

Moving from pre-elite to junior elite............... money you shouldn't spend

Moving from junior elite to senior elite........... money you can't afford to spend

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't really asking about the financial side of it...although I appreciate your humor :)

I'll take a stab at a few answers...

What is the difference between, and what are the ages for Junior Pre-elite, Junior elite and Senior Elite--and how does an athlete qualify to these levels?

Pre-Elite - The Actual Pre-Elite level no longer exists, but Hopes still does. Hopes kids are divided into two age groups - Age 10-11 & Age 12-13. Hopes age 10-11 need to score a 32.000 in compulsories and a 46.000 on their optional routines at a National Training Camp or National Qualifier to qualify to a Challenge Competition. Hopes age 12-13 need to score a 33.000 in compulsories and a 47.500 on their optional routines at a National Training Camp or National Qualifier to qualify to a Challenge Competition.

Junior International Elite - Age 11-15 years old. Athletes must score a 35.000 on the compulsory routines and a 51.00 on their optional routines to qualify to a Classic Competition. To qualify to the US National Championships they must 51.50 at 2013 Classic meet or National Team members at Team Training Camp (full routines on competition surfaces) or International Assignment.

Senior International Elite - Ages 16+. Athletes must score a 35.000 on the compulsory routines and a 53.00 on their optional routines to qualify to a Classic Competition. To qualify to the US National Championships they must 54.000 at 2013 Classic meet or National Team members at Team Training Camp (full routines on competition surfaces) or International Assignment.

There are also some additional ways to qualify to Senior International Elite (three-event scores & two-event scores) as well as additional ways to qualify to Nationals, that info can be found here: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/ElitePre-Elite/13elitechart.pdf

I know that Senior elites are not allowed to compete in JO Level 10 meets, but are they allowed to participate in open sessions? Are Junior elites and pre-elites still allowed to compete in JO level 10 meets once they have qualified to these levels?

International Elites (Junior OR Senior) may compete in open sessions only to keep their elite status. Pre-Elites [now Hopes only] may still compete in their regular level 9 and/or 10 meets.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the Developmental Camps and the National Team training Camps, and who goes to these camps? What are the National qualifying meets that are held at the ranch trying to qualify for? And what are "zones"???

Anyone can be invited to a Developmental or National Team Camp. National Team members must attend National Team Camps. One or two national team camps per year are selection camps where gymnasts are officially selected for specific, international assignments. The camps allow national staff to comment and encourage skill and routine progression among coaches and gymnasts. These camps also allow a closed-door opportunity to qualify to Challenge and Classic which is helpful because national qualifiers (qualifiers to Challenge and Classic) can be challenging. National Qualifiers change locations and times every year but there are usually 2-4 every season, including the last one at the Ranch around the 4th of July. I believe the zone system has been abolished as of this season.

Among many other things and simplistically, Gymnasts in the elite track aspires to make it to national team. Just being a JO Level 10 cannot qualify you to elite or national team. Elites are steps above L10. Skills can be close, but the execution is drastically, I think, different. Scoring system is different. But both can get you a full ride scholarship.

Do you want to know the difference just for general informational purposes or are you trying to figure out the right path for your daughter? Usag.com also has a wealth of information.

Anyone can be invited to a Developmental or National Team Camp. National Team members must attend National Team Camps. One or two national team camps per year are selection camps where gymnasts are officially selected for specific, international assignments. The camps allow national staff to comment and encourage skill and routine progression among coaches and gymnasts. These camps also allow a closed-door opportunity to qualify to Challenge and Classic which is helpful because national qualifiers (qualifiers to Challenge and Classic) can be challenging. National Qualifiers change locations and times every year but there are usually 2-4 every season, including the last one at the Ranch around the 4th of July. I believe the zone system has been abolished as of this season.

Thank you LemonLime!

Among many other things and simplistically, Gymnasts in the elite track aspires to make it to national team. Just being a JO Level 10 cannot qualify you to elite or national team. Elites are steps above L10. Skills can be close, but the execution is drastically, I think, different. Scoring system is different. But both can get you a full ride scholarship.

Do you want to know the difference just for general informational purposes or are you trying to figure out the right path for your daughter? Usag.com also has a wealth of information.

Thanks 4theloveofsports. I am ALWAYS trying to figure out the best path for my daughter by gathering as much information as possible.:D

I understand that elite and L10 are very different, and understand that form and difficulty/connections are very important in elite gymnastics. Part of what prompted my post was that I found mention on USAG site of "pre-elite" and I was unfamiliar with this level which is what prompted my question about ages for the different levels within the elite track. (I now understand that on the USAG website, when they mention pre-elite, they are referencing TOPS/HOPES athletes and not a separate level.) I also wondered about if they qualify elite at the junior level, whether they can still participate in JO (because I know that TOP and HOPES athletes still can)...which chalkbowl clarified for me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back