WAG Sometimes I wonder...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But not if don't have the skills
For 6, right? I mean, my dd can do a back over but not really solid on the BHS on beam yet. Coach said, that for them to score good on 6 they have to have a bhs on beam, and cast handstand on bars. Which my dd doesn't really have yet. And most of the girls can't even do a bwo on beam and can barely cast over horizontal.

This is not what I have seen. I know many girls have scored well at 6 with a cartwheel on beam!

Cast handstand us ideal but a high cast will still score pretty well.

Have they scored out of 5? Most who can score out of 5 can have a decent level 6 season.

This is not what I have seen. I know many girls have scored well at 6 with a cartwheel on beam!

Cast handstand us ideal but a high cast will still score pretty well.

Have they scored out of 5? Most who can score out of 5 can have a decent level 6 season.

They haven't scored out of 5 yet. They will do it in our in house which is sometime in October. Dd has back walkover on beam pretty good, and I feel like that what she should compete with until she gets her bhs solid. But im just a mom.

It's amazing that your dd was able to score 38's in L4 with a coaching ratio of 17:1. I think that shows a lot of talent and hard work on her part. I do think she will be ok in 6 without BWO and cast to handstand, around here you don't always see a lot in L6 with both of those. Most can cast pretty high but don't make it quite to HS.

A ratio of 27:1 with no assistant coaches or stations like a previous poster mentioned is absolutely ridiculous. I would get out now b/c your dd still has time to get accustomed to a new gym, and with better coaching I think she would do extremely well in L6. I would chalk up the booster fee to a lesson learned and get out of there as soon as possible.

She had plenty of privates to help her fine tune.

To be honest, if she doesn't do privates, she probably won't score that good.

They haven't scored out of 5 yet. They will do it in our in house which is sometime in October. Dd has back walkover on beam pretty good, and I feel like that what she should compete with until she gets her bhs solid. But im just a mom.

No, you are the paying customer. The service provider owes you a reasonable service for your not inconsiderable contribution to their bottom line !

For 6, right? I mean, my dd can do a back over but not really solid on the BHS on beam yet. Coach said, that for them to score good on 6 they have to have a bhs on beam, and cast handstand on bars. Which my dd doesn't really have yet. And most of the girls can't even do a bwo on beam and can barely cast over horizontal.
Skills are the same in 5 and 6. And the kids are allowed to straddle cast in 6 which is way easier than straight. So 6 is easier.

Skills are the same in 5 and 6. And the kids are allowed to straddle cast in 6 which is way easier than straight. So 6 is easier.

My dd does straddle cast, she doesn't get all the way up to a handstand. And coach knows this, but they don't drill or coach for this to get the skill. [emoji35] my dd had it couple months back, but lost it now that she is in this optional practice group.

I agree you should get out of there, and now. That ratio is insane. I heard you say a couple of things that I think need answers for you.

No, this is not how it is at other gyms. I totally get feeling unsure and not knowing anything but where you are. Been there on that one. But I promise, this isn't how it should be. My suggestion would be to quietly go watch some practice at other gyms. You will quickly see the difference. I would start with gyms where the optional kids are performing well at state and beyond as your dd seems to have some talent and if you are moving then you want to make sure she will get training to help her be as successful as she is capable. Not sure what your options are, but if you have options as in a number of gyms to choose from then there can be both smaller more intimate programs that are high quality and bigger powerhouse gyms. I would check out both if possible and get a feel of what feels good to you. If you do your research, I am positive you can find a better fit than where she is now. 24 kids and one coach, who you say doesn't push for better and better would be an absolute deal killer for me.

The other thing is you said that she had privates and that is why she scored so high and you don't think she could do that without them. I would argue if she is capable of that then working in a good program with quality coaches and an appropriate ratio will bring even better results than those privates. This "fine tuning" should and is in most programs part of the regular training they get.

I totally respect if you feel you can't move because you have already paid and it isn't refundable. This is a big deal and something to consider. But I would agree that if you can at all afford to eat this cost and gymnastics is a priority for your dd and your family that you get her to a new gym now. There is still time for her to get established and improve for the upcoming season.

Also, dd did level six and many scored very well with BWO and casts are the kicker but few have them. With a good coach and environment she will be just fine. Really no reason to do both five and six.

I totally feel for you and wish you and your dd the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Don't get me wrong, good coaching is more important than coach:gymnasts rations.

A great coach can do more with 12 kids in their class, than a mediocre coach can do with 4. But 24 in optionals with one coach is not even remotely safe. You wouldn't even have a clue how good the coach is because they will not be I. The position to give individual attention to any of their gymnasts.

since our move my DD now has a gone from 1:13 (and a disinterested one as well) to a ratio of max 2:11 and normally 1:4, she has come on leaps and bounds, the girl that was "uncoachable on beam" yesterday connected BWO BHS and is doing aerials, FWO and working back tucks.

Move.

Ooh didn't realise you have moved, are you still in the same county? I know a lot of girls from you county have recently move to a club in neighbouring county- happy to hear the move has been good for you and improvements have been made!

If I do switch... I'm worried about my daughter. She likes her gym and her friends. But as a mom, I know she's not getting the best.

Also, I'm tied for the season since I fully paid booster already! :(

You are the parent, you decide what's best for your daughter. No kid wants to move........as far as already paying for stuff, there is always a way out....you may have to get creative like selling the Leo to another parent.....

All things being equal, you should try to find the best program for your dollar and your time

So today was my last straw. My dd practiced with the optionals and then I came to find out the xcel girls are with them too! That's 30+ gymnasts under 1 coach!

I spoke with the head coach/owner. She basically told me that I am being impatient. And that kids will go backwards first before they get good. And to trust her! I think that I wasn't being impatient. Dd spent the whole summer and her skills are not getting any better. She had her cast handstand before this coach got a hold of her. And owner basically told me that I am being anxious and impatient! So... Monday, we are shopping for another gym. I am hoping that my will get my refund for booster and leotard. :( my dd is mad at me and of course tears. But a few hours now, she is open to going and seeing another gym in the area.

So today was my last straw. My dd practiced with the optionals and then I came to find out the xcel girls are with them too! That's 30+ gymnasts under 1 coach!

I spoke with the head coach/owner. She basically told me that I am being impatient. And that kids will go backwards first before they get good. And to trust her! I think that I wasn't being impatient. Dd spent the whole summer and her skills are not getting any better. She had her cast handstand before this coach got a hold of her. And owner basically told me that I am being anxious and impatient! So... Monday, we are shopping for another gym. I am hoping that my will get my refund for booster and leotard. :( my dd is mad at me and of course tears. But a few hours now, she is open to going and seeing another gym in the area.

That's crazy! I hope you find a better option.

I'm glad you are going to look for better options. We are in the middle of a gym change and I feel so relieved. We have found a much better option. I bet when you find her next gym you will wish you would have moved sooner. Reading your posts about her gym and the ratio of coach to gymnasts is scary. I think there is a huge safety issue at that gym. I'm glad you are getting out. I hope your daughter loves the new gym, wherever that might be. Good luck!

They don't need a BHS on beam at level 6. A nice clean bwo will score better than a sloppy or shaky BHS. Honestly, judges do not care if they do bwo or BHS, because they have a choice. They can even do a handstand, cartwheel, or a roll instead. (Code of Points, pg 161)

6 is easier than 5, but my question is, are they scoring out of 5? Because they have to score out at least 1 AA score of 31.00. You can skip 6, but you cannot skip 5.

As for casting, they do need to be close to vertical for it to count in level 6. The low cast is actually more worrisome as far as scoring goes than not having a BHS.

I posted too fast, I see you are looking at another gym. Good luck! And a 38 AA at level 4 is amazing! As far as private lessons, my dd's gym owner says if you do the work in practice and have the right coach, you don't need privates. She's right. I've seen 3 level 10s go through the program who were National champions and then full ride college scholarships who never had private lessons or even went to camps much. They worked their butts off in practice, listened to the coach, made corrections, etc. i hope you get your money back, but don't hold your breath, you probably won't.

I hope it goes well for you guys. We have about 6-8 optional girls, 3-4 TOPS girls, & 2-3 'elite' track girls. So the largest coach to gymnast ratio we have is 1:15 when they are grouped together, aka when the compulsory teams are there, but most of the time it is 1-<7.
However, I did want to post in the coach's defense. With that ratio, it doesn't matter how attentive she tries to be, she can't. The coach can't possibly be 'okay' with that situation. I wouldn't be surprised if that coach decided to look for a new position soon.

As for casting, they do need to be close to vertical for it to count in level 6. The low cast is actually more worrisome as far as scoring goes than not having a BHS.

^^^this, bars is the what is keeping my daughter at 5

Coach ratio aside, which is totally reason enough to move.

If your child is not close to L7, L6 perhaps 2x or 5 then 6 doesn't make much difference.

We faced this this summer. My kid will unlikely be ready for 7 next year. While 6 would of been nice for me (no compulsory music). It was 2 at 6 or 5 then 6. 5 is best for her. She really is a happier harder working gymmie now that she is not stressing 6. And I know this will help her bars. May be not her scores this year, but she will rock it going forward with the time to catch up on bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back