Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I'm not sure if the guys notice this or not... but the Spieth ring tower at Classic's moves a lot. It doesn't just move when they swing... it continues to vibrate / oscillate back and forth for quite some time after heavy skills.

Is this because it is on a podium? Is it because it's not setup well? Is it a design flaw? Is this "as designed" to help reduce stresses on the athletes?

I mean... come on... that thing is wobbly...

Here is the link to the tower...

Last edited:
That's crazy!

My son's first gym didn't have a ring tower. Just rings attached to the beams. The first time they got to swing on a ring tower it was nuts. THey were all over the place.

I know they do shake on the podium, but not sure what is an acceptable amount.

I noticed it too. Doesn’t look normal to me. The tower at my sons’ gym doesn’t do this, but there’s another gym that hosts competitions that has a wobbly tower (not on a podium, just mounted on a concrete slab floor). My kids complain about that wobbly setup each time they compete there.

I think those are the same (type of) rings they used at ETC/Winter Cup (and they chewed my son up and spat him out :p ). He had competed on the podium at Horton Challenge before ETC to prep for ETC podium and didn't seem to struggle as much. After being at ETC our coach had him practice with shaking the rings tower in our own gym before meets.

The slider buckles seem to really wobble on the Spieth rings, and be much higher up than the AAI ones.

Rings at Nationals were AAI, they seemed sturdier (but also weren't on the podium).

As an aside, my son had the opportunity to practice on GymNova equipment during the summer. He said it felt much, much different than the AAI stuff he is used to. Especially the pommel, which has a very flat top surface. His new theory is that the gymnova pommel is the reason US guys don't do as well in pommel :cool:.

As an aside, my son had the opportunity to practice on GymNova equipment during the summer. He said it felt much, much different than the AAI stuff he is used to. Especially the pommel, which has a very flat top surface. His new theory is that the gymnova pommel is the reason US guys don't do as well in pommel :cool:.
The Gymnova vault at Junior worlds caused a few near injuries due to gymnasts slipping - I believe it is being investigated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back