Parents Spin-off....How do your gymmies do in Gym class?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is one that just blows everyone away in school gym class:cool:. She's fast(quick twitch muscles) & she has good hand eye coordination along with her gymnastic strength & flexiblity. So she's a triple threat;). She did pee-wee soccer, t-ball & tennis when she was young & cleaned up in all of them. She could have choosen any of them as her "thing". But she loved gymnastics, so that is what SHE chose to focus on. Later in middle school she ran track & broke school records having never run track before!?! But doing gymnastics is STILL what she loves at 15yrs old & in highschool! She says it's the one thing that really challenges her...the other stuff is all too "easy" for her. Needless to say she loves school gym class because her teachers & classmates are in awe of the things she can do. Sometimes it's good to be the king;)...or queen I guess I should say, LOL!

My dd received a "student of the month" award from the PE department this year. She also received the sit-up award during their fitness testing. She also likes to point out that she is the only one that can do "real" push-ups in her PE class. The PE instructors are always surprised since she is also one of the smallest in the class.:)

The "real push up" comment reminded me of when the Army recruiters visited my DD's highschool. They went into the lunch room & held a co-ed push up contest & my DD won! She even beat the ROTC kids!!! She won a T-shirt, LOL. Crazy!!!

Just last week my DD came home from school and said that she had great news from PE class. She said they had to do pull ups and that the boys were showing off, then she laughed and said that she told the boys that she could do more pull ups than any of them and then she did! She's in 2nd grade and said they were practicing for the physical fitness test that they have to do next year.

It is a mixed bag. She blows them away on things like the rope climb, pull-ups, etc. But at things like the unicycle, basketball, etc, she is ho-hum.

My DD loves how strong she is. She came in first in all the PE categories. PE teacher knows that DD is a gymnast. Instead of girl pushups that the rest of the class was doing he had her do the regular ones. For pullups he had the girls do the timed hang. Very easy for DD they do this at gym too and she wins every time. One day in class he pulled her aside and said he wanted to see if she could break the school record for pull ups. She amost doubled it! The are doing track right now and her PE teacher is trying to recruit her to do track and field. Once she gets to Jr high and High school she can opt out of PE and do study hall instead. I am unsure of what she will do.

Beth gets straight As in gym--but really aces the fitness testing. She had the pull-up record at her old school (topped her sister's previous record)--until she was beaten--by another gymnast ;-)

Now, that said, she doesn't receive "outstanding grades" in gym class. They get letter grades- E (exceeds expectations) S (satisfactory) and N (needs improvement) and she consistantly gets an "S" in gym which always makes me laugh-- fine by me :)

You're a better person than I am. I will admit that it makes me question the gym teacher that my daughter only gets the average middle grade for PE. I know that my kid is more fit than every single kid in her class. Apparently the gym teacher doesn't assess physical education on how well a child performs physical activity. She is coordinated and does ball play just fine. She isn't clumsy. She can run the entire period they request and only stops when told. Obviously she's stronger and more flexible than average kids. So yeah, I guess I do kinda wonder why my kid isn't getting top scores. Does any child get top scores in PE? If not, that makes me think the teacher is being a bit lazy with assessment.

Let's just say that if I gave all of my science kids Cs, I would have parents in my classroom kvetching about it.

Bella's Mom- I agree- especially since she get's E's in Art class and Music class- my guess is that little to no E's are given out by the gym teacher-- why... no clue maybe she thinks very few kids are worthy, maybe she's mean, or maybe in general my daughter's effort is lacking in gym class- I remember I used to think it was boring.

DD is in 1st grade so grades in general count very little other than to give me and her teachers an idea of how she is doing in her subjects-- I guess "gym class" is not something she stands out on a day to day basis. Very funny to me considering she scored higher than all the other 1st graders in physical fitness- this happened during this current grading period- I'll let you know if her gym score improved for this grading period- grades come out on the last day of school in June.

:confused: huh?! Excused from phys ed for participating in a sport?? I have never heard of this. Wouldn't that excuse 75% of the students?!!

DD is in 2nd grade and they do a unit on gymnastics, but they do not allow her to do any real skills, since the gym teacher can't really confirm her abilities (he hasn't called me or anything...)

Yes indeed, it is called Off Campus PE. If your child does over 15 hours a week in a school approved sport, they qualify. They have to be at least 5th grade. They are excused from gym class and get off at least one class period per day.

Also my DD was asked to stop doing sit ups and pull ups in her fitness testing since she did more than any of the boys. :)

I have a funny story to tell about when I was young. I use to play tennis and was ranked quite high in Australia. A friend of mine who was a year older then me was Number 1 in Australia for the under 14's. Anyway her school had a term of tennis. When she got her report card back, it said that she failed tennis. Never mind that she was the best in the country. Couldn't believe it

I think it is entirely appropriate for competitive gymnasts to be excused from PE. We had a L9 who spent about three weeks in an ankle brace because she sprained her ankle in PE class. She was working BHSBT on beam but twisted her ankle in PE! She could laugh about the irony but it is kinda scary.

Hi, I'm new. I've been reading CB for a while, but I just had to make an account in order to answer this question.

My daughter's elementary school PE teacher does a couple of weeks of "gymnastics" as part of her curriculum. They have mats and rings and a full-size beam. My daughter was so excited to be able to show off some of her skills to her friends, but the gym teacher made her walk across the beam holding her hand! She was mortified. Here this kid can easily do a cartwheel on the beam, and she's made to hold hands and walk slowly.

Oh well, I guess there's probably a safety issue or something. But still, hand holding? Sigh.

My DD received the President's Fitness award last year (she was the top female in her school) and the National Fitness award this year (one of 12 first graders). She did something like 32 push-ups and 2 pull-ups and I can't remember the rest. I was teasing her that I was going to tell her coach he needed to condition her harder so she could do more than 2 pull-ups next year ;). She hates doing P.E. I think it's more because she has friends who don't want to do it and so she doesn't do it with them. I did find out that the other kids in her class will get her to perform her "tricks". I wish I could sit there and tell her not to do a back handspring in the grass at school. I've mentioned it to her teacher, but they don't always watch them.

Oh and welcome to the group gym-mom. My dd would be mortified as well.

A topic that always makes me laugh !!, my daughters report for PE last year was 'average, needs to work on her balance', I just could not take it seriously. DD is in the gym 12 hours + per week, has been SELECTED for the school football, rugby and athletics team, I do wonder just what it takes to achieve above average lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back