WAG Splashdown on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD started working something on beam she's calling a splashdown. It's a handspring where her legs don't touch beam as she describes it. Is there another name for it? She is wondering whether she needs to hit handstand for it to get full credit (she's doing it out of a back tuck). I think her coaches are just trying different combinations of skills to see what looks best. I assume it's B value like the back handspring? I don't remember seeing it in competition so am curious about it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes, a B. Usually not very hard, but I like to teach it later, bc if you introduce it too early, the back handsprings seem to get a bad technique. But as she is doing it out of a tuck, I guess she has a decent BH already :)

For judging wise, I have no idea, sorry! But I think it should be at least almost handstand, bc this is how we train all BH skills on beam.

They were popular over 20 years ago. It was a standard optional skill out of a walkover, handstand, ff, whatever. I hope it's making a comeback. :)

I think it is a pretty skill when done right and I don't see it much at meets. It does appear more difficult than it probably is hence the B designation. But I like the looks of the skill. As far as hitting a handstand, I think the form would be closer to a back handspring. The back seems to be always arched. See Olga Korbut's beam in 1976 below at 1:00, pause certain parts of the skill to see position. I assume since it was named after her, the form would be right?

I love watching Olga's videos. I wasn't old enough to remember her prime, but watched a great documentary on her. Her videos really shows how much of the artistic side is lost with today's emphasis on hard and big skills. My back hurts just watching her though!

I plan on showing DD the videos above to give her some perspective on what it should look like. Thanks everyone!

Olga did really play up the bendy back angle. Most of her unique skills were based on an overemphasized arch. I would tell her to model her execution more on Fan Ye than Kkorbut.

I probably would agree with ZJsmom's post above. However, the execution of the skill is also limited to one's ability and flexibility. I just wanted to show the origin of the skill. I wonder how Olga Korbut's back has "developed" since her gymnastics career.

I also agree with your post above vagymmomma. A lot of the artistry has been replaced by athleticism which is good or not so good depending on one's preference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back