WAG Split leap question about chasse step

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
I asked this question on the 'chasse' thread but it seems to have kind of got lost, so I thought I'd ask it in a separate thread. On a split leap my DD swings her front leg into the leap right out of the chasse and this is also the way I've been doing leaps. That is, chasse would be L-R-L, then leap off left foot, swinging right leg up into the leap and landing on right leg. I've noticed most other gymnasts seem to put a step in between (i.e. chasse R-L-R, step with left leaping off left foot and land on right). So I wondered whether we are doing it wrong or whether both ways are acceptable. Does it make a difference having the extra step in the middle?

I can't say whether one is right or wrong, but if you see other gymnasts doing it I think it's safe to assume it's acceptable. When I teach my little ones to leap I always do it as chasse, step, leap because a good strong step is a great take off point for the leap. Also known as "the leap before you leap."

My daughter does a chasse (L-R-L), step right (for push off) and swings the left front to back for the switch split. It sounds more like your latter description.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back