Splitting Jr and Elite Nationals. Thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We were told at our team meeting that they will have desperate Jr and Elite Nationals in 2014 with Jr Nationals being in June and Elite in July.

Still waiting to find out where they are having it. I think we are only heading to regionals for 1/2 in San Jose this year.

I am not sure why they are doing this, but it really makes it hard. T&T allows athletes to compete different levels on events, so some athletes compete lvl 7 and 8...what are these families supposed to do? Go to both? Also teams need to budget and having to attend two nationals will make this quite costly, we will need to send multiple coaches to both competitions, that's double the air-fare, double the time away from the gym, etc. I'm not sure the benefits (what are the benefits?) will outweigh the negatives. And I agree that it would be nice to have definite dates and locations so proper planning can take place.

Yeah it is a dumb move. I know a lot of kids that are level 6 or 7 on something and level 8 on another. I feel like if you are going to spend a ton of money to go you should get your moneys worth and be able to compete all 3 events if you qualified. It seems like kind of a rip off to go for 1 or 2. and even worse for gyms to decide if they are going to both or one or the either. It made life easier for me as I am a horrible tumbler and only compete level 6 but do level 9/10 on the other events as it made my decision solid to "retire" from tumbling, no point wasting time and wearing out my body training it if I can't compete it at National's and I am not paying for a whole other trip to do level 6 tumbling! I am sure a lot of people are going to be rather upset this year not to mention it is in KY at the chicken center of all places! Who wants to go to KY for any reason (no offence if you have to live there lol)

Yeah it is a dumb move. I know a lot of kids that are level 6 or 7 on something and level 8 on another. I feel like if you are going to spend a ton of money to go you should get your moneys worth and be able to compete all 3 events if you qualified. It seems like kind of a rip off to go for 1 or 2. and even worse for gyms to decide if they are going to both or one or the either. It made life easier for me as I am a horrible tumbler and only compete level 6 but do level 9/10 on the other events as it made my decision solid to "retire" from tumbling, no point wasting time and wearing out my body training it if I can't compete it at National's and I am not paying for a whole other trip to do level 6 tumbling! I am sure a lot of people are going to be rather upset this year not to mention it is in KY at the chicken center of all places! Who wants to go to KY for any reason (no offence if you have to live there lol)
You obviously have never been to Louisville. Offense taken.

I'm excited to go to KY...never been there but it looks beautiful.

Having said that, I don't know anyone who likes this split. It is cost prohibitive for the gyms and teams. A lot of kids 5-7 go and really benefit, but the levels 8 and above have greater need. How will gyms and teams choose if they can't afford to do both? It is unfair for USA Gymnastics to do this for this sport that is growing every year and had a wonderful Nationals already. How does it affect Acro and Rythmic? Are they having to make such a big changes?

I'm excited to go to KY...never been there but it looks beautiful.

Having said that, I don't know anyone who likes this split. It is cost prohibitive for the gyms and teams. A lot of kids 5-7 go and really benefit, but the levels 8 and above have greater need. How will gyms and teams choose if they can't afford to do both? It is unfair for USA Gymnastics to do this for this sport that is growing every year and had a wonderful Nationals already. How does it affect Acro and Rythmic? Are they having to make such a big changes?

I can't speak to Rhythmic, but the main change for Acro is the levels that go to nationals. The cut off is different than last year, with level 5's not having a national competition at all. It doesn't affect us as much because most kids don't do more than one event, so you don't have the issue with splitting levels, and there isn't a second nationals for the lower levels—their season simply ends with regionals.

I've heard at least one organization is hosting it's own completely separate national event since Washington is so remote from most areas and since the jr/elite split complicates things so much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back