WAG Sports Psychology

• Thread starter Deleted member 17723
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Hi all!

Has anyone every tried (or has a child who has tried) sports psychiatry? Whether for mental blocks, fear of injury, or anything else? If so, has it worked? And what did they go for? What can they provide that a basic counselor can not?

I would love to go to one but they are hard to find and $$$. I have only seem sports psychology advertised by high performance sporting organisations

Dd went 3 times for an issue she had. It was very successful-she was given on-going strategies which she still applies when needed.

My advice would be to research a well qualified psychologist with experience of gymnasts. For us this also meant a psychologist experienced in elite track sport.

As we parents and our gymnasts spend so much time/money /effort on the physical well being of the gymnast; & as gymnastics is at least 50% a mental game , it makes sense to spend some time/money/effort looking after the gymnasts psychological side.

Our daughter has been going to one for awhile. She is level 9 and last year she became very reluctant to compete. She was so scared that during practice she would be not be able to do anything. Her computing season starts today so will see how much good it has done. I know that she is working very hard at practice and had no problem at the nock meet and scored in the nines.

Thank you for all your replies. @AWOL and @auswi , I hope it helps!

What does a sports psychologist do that a, say, school guidance counselor can't?

Thank you for all your replies. @AWOL and @auswi , I hope it helps!

What does a sports psychologist do that a, say, school guidance counselor can't?

My guess would be that school guidance counselors don't have any experience in counseling athletes in a competitive environment. That is a very niche sub-speciality. Doc Ali is great -- she doesn't just focus on fears, she focuses on training the athlete mind -- mental toughness training. Her program covers everything from how to be a good teammate to getting the most out of each practice/each turn. They also, of course, cover how to mentally prep for competition, mental strategies for remaining calm, being in the moment, etc.

My daughter wasn't having any fears or issues, but I signed her up for the Mental Toughness summer camp anyway -- all tweens could use some help in this area as it translates to 'life'. I wish that I had had access to something like this when I was young. At any rate, when the summer session was over, I asked her if she wanted to continue and she said yes without hesitation. She enjoys it and has built up a good relationship with counselor and the other gymnasts in her session. She never wants to miss it.

I definitely don't think that a school counselor would be likely to be much help. In my experience, most adults (therapists and not) don't "get" what our gymnasts do. They think it is ridiculous for kids to spend so much time doing a sport and will advise against it. I have casually talked to friends who are therapists and they have given me the side eye about my kids and this sport. I think that in general most adults have a hard time understanding that these kids are a bit different than most kids.

I definitely don't think that a school counselor would be likely to be much help. In my experience, most adults (therapists and not) don't "get" what our gymnasts do. They think it is ridiculous for kids to spend so much time doing a sport and will advise against it. I have casually talked to friends who are therapists and they have given me the side eye about my kids and this sport. I think that in general most adults have a hard time understanding that these kids are a bit different than most kids.
This made me remember something my school counselor told me, in the beginning of the year (all freshman have a one on one meeting to meet their counselor and ask questions, etc). When she asked my afterschool schedule, I told her I have gym most nights from 445-815. She said, so which day is that? And I said all but Fri, and some Tues. She looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to mention that lowering my hours might benefit me. Hmm.. Good point 2G1B. Most adults don't get gymnasts.

Dd went 3 times for an issue she had. It was very successful-she was given on-going strategies which she still applies when needed.

My advice would be to research a well qualified psychologist with experience of gymnasts. For us this also meant a psychologist experienced in elite track sport.

We took our daughter to see a sports psychologist over school refusal because we felt that the crying about going to school was wrapped up with having to work hard there and at the gym and it was just too overwhelming. I googled until I found someone who had worked with Olympic divers and was relatively close by. They cost more than regular psychologist, but I found it worth every cent. They just understand these kids so well and talk in a way that makes sense to them. She talked about how not dealing with this mental block was going to lead to mental blocks in the gym, so they negotiated tasks and strategies. She was also really flexible fitting around training. We often met her at a coffee shop where I'd buy the coffees and go for a wander during the "consultation". We needed three or four sessions and then left it with a "you call me if you need me".

I agree with all the posters above about a school counsellor. It's like taking your child to a regular doctor when they injure themselves who says "rest for three weeks". It's better to see a sports doctor who says, "OK you can't do this, this and this, but you can do this and this".

Our daughter has been going to one for awhile. She is level 9 and last year she became very reluctant to compete. She was so scared that during practice she would be not be able to do anything. Her computing season starts today so will see how much good it has done. I know that she is working very hard at practice and had no problem at the nock meet and scored in the nines.
It must have done some good, she placed 5th over all age groups, she placed 2nd, all age groups on bars and 3rd on floor in all age groups.
Last year she could not even do these events

It must have done some good, she placed 5th over all age groups, she placed 2nd, all age groups on bars and 3rd on floor in all age groups.
Last year she could not even do these events
Yayyy!! Good for her! Congrats!

For those who have seen a sports psychiatrist:

1. You don't need to answer this, but if you don't mind, how much was it?

2. Did you (the parent) stay in on the conversation or did you leave?

For those who have seen a sports psychiatrist:

1. You don't need to answer this, but if you don't mind, how much was it?

2. Did you (the parent) stay in on the conversation or did you leave?

1. That is a difficult question as Doc Ali classes are $79/month and there are weekly meetings. Or you can do private consults with her -- not sure about that cost. Also if you go to a private doctor, it will depend on insurance, in network, out of network, do they take insurance, etc etc

2. Go. This is between them. You may have an initial consult with the Dr where you share your concerns, goals, etc., but the work is between them.

I would love to go to one but they are hard to find and $$$. I have only seem sports psychology advertised by high performance sporting organisations
Presstohandstands, look up Dave Diggle. He's based in Sydney, an ex-gymnast (Great Britain) himself and is a sports psychologist. He travels and also does Skype sessions if you're not nearby him. Highly recommended. He is pricey, but good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back