spotting bails overshoots

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

david

Coach
Ive always spotted bails by standing on the side the gymnast turns away from. I feel this gives me more control as when you are turning their hips and turning your own hips towards the low bar as you follow them, its all the same direction( since you back arm is pulling and your front arm (arm closest to highbar) is pushing, and you can use your whole body to spot..a plus with bigger gymnasts. But i was talking to another coach and he was saying you should always spot with the gymnast turning towards you so that if they end up going crooked they go towards you and not away, and so its alot safer. I have tried this but feel that then my body doesnt turn as one when im spotting. My upper body is turing towards the highbar since my back arm is pushing away, and my lower body is trying to turn towards the low bar to follow the gymnast. So it feels akward and I feel like Im giving a weaker spot. So i was just wondering what everyone else thought, and how they do it. Is this just a matter of personal prefrence, and i should spot the way i feel comfortable, or is spotting with the kid turning towards you really the safest, and I should just get used to it and make myself comfortable with it? Ive looked up as many videos as i can find and the methods seem to be pretty evenly split.
thanks for your time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back