spotting handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

iamagymbabe

Coach
Gymnast
what is the correct way to spot a handstand? i've seen youtube videos of coaches holding the gymnast by the ankles, the knees or the thighs and i was wondering which was the correct way.

In my humble opinion, you shouldn't spot it at all, with some exception - ideally, you would provide tools to teach them shape and awareness independently, which support zones based on level of proficiency.That said, when spotting a handstand, my answer to your question is - it depends. What is your goal? Are you teaching tightness? Shaping?For tighness, I start with the thighs, to get them acclimated to being upside down. When they are comfortable with that, I would spot the hips so they are in control of their legs and aware of how to keep them in place.When that is mastered I would spot from the shoulders to increase body tightness, tension, and shape. For learning weight transfer or adding weight for shaping or extension, I spot from the feet/ankles to push down.

Yes if they are beginners, spot near the center.

There is nothing worse than seeing a kid being spotted by their ankles while they are totally arching their backs, head thrown out, and basically walking on their hands like they are doing a wheel barrel race!

It depends on the size of the kid and how you are teaching the skill. The hips are a good place for most. When the kids get bigger or have heavy legs, you may have to adjust. For shaping, I usually have their ankles with my knees at their shoulder if they are bigger than I am.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back