WAG Squat on v. Pike on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
My DD came home yesterday and mentioned that she plans to compete a pike on in L4 bars this year. I am not entirely sure I fully understand the difference. Most of the videos I find when I search are for a circling skill. Anyone have a video they would share showing the pike on in the L4 routine?

Anyway, DD is a L4 repeater. Is the pike on more progressive? Is there a reason, other than to prevent boredom, to have her work/compete this skill? She has been doing a squat on (pretty well, I think, and always makes it) for 18 months. Comp season is 3 months away. Is that time to get a good handle on this new skill?

At dd's gym, they teach them all the pike on. I'm not an expert, but I think it's just a style thing. Dd's gym considers themselves strong on bars and they feel it looks nicer I think. I'll send you a link of my dd doing her level 4 bar routine with a pike on.

In many gymnastics elements a pike is seen a progression past the tuck (squat). Though it doesn't officially count for more points, I can see why gyms would see it as a more 'advanced' version of the skill that gives a cleaner look. Any time legs remain straight instead of bent pretty much looks more appealing.

If I remember correctly, the pike-on has more room for deductions, since they get you if you bend your legs. But I think it looks gorgeous if done well. A lot of girls opted for the squat on to avoid that issue.

For some girls, a pike on has fewer deductions than a tuck squat on. Depending on the person. I've seen it done for some kids who get "stuck" in the squat position and balance there for too long, or who never get their legs straight when jumping to the high bar.

For me, a pike on is just more comfortable. It could be any of those things, or just for fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back