WAG Start values

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Do they show this before the gymnast goes, or afterwards, before the score comes up on the board?

If they show it before, how do they know what it is? Does the coach tell them, so and so has a whatever start value?

SV is flashed when the gymnast finishes.
Judges use their shorthand to record what the gymnast actually did... then they compare that to the requirements for the level or division.

At our meet this weekend, I saw some SVs posted prior to people going on vault because I think they knew that it would be below 10.0 (i.e. Doing a tuck rather than pike vault in L8). But other times they would adjust it afterwards, like when my dd fell on beam on her 2nd connected skill, which dropped her start value. They wouldn't have know it until after the end of the routine.

They usually show it afterwards for reasons mentioned.

In compulsories, the start value is pre-determinded, so judges watch the routine and deduct skills that cannot be counted or that were omitted. In optionals, it's the other way round. Judges note down skills counting toward the level requirements, then add them up.
Vault is obviously a little different, especially in optionals. Different vaults have different pre-determined start values, so it's a process of identifying the vault performed and then matching that up with its start value. In compulsories, it's more of a matter of "do they make it over the table".

Yours sincerely,
the international coach who might just have this completely mixed up. That is, however, how it works over here :D

Other than for vault (when they may ask what vault the gymnast is performing ahead of time) the start value is determined after the routine. Each judge has a flip book and will display the determined start value separately. The start value will sometimes be in agreement and sometimes not. For example, on beam one judge may credit the connection on the series (a special requirement) and the other judge may declare that the connection was too slow and not award credit, therefore, one judge awards a 10.0 start value and the other awards a 9.5 start value. Depending on where the judges are sitting, it is sometimes possible and sometimes not possible for spectators to see the start value displayed.

With the exception of vault, judges aren't told beforehand what will be in the routine or what the start value will be; they have to keep track of what skills the gymnast does, and calculate start value after the routine.

They typically flash it at the table, but that's more for the gymnasts and coaches to see; they don't usually go out of their way to show it to the audience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back