Parents State meet report/Regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ingwe

Proud Parent
Morgan had her state meet last weekend. I got to meet JuJu's mom, which was great. (her gym was the host meet)

She had a great meet and I was so happy that she was able to end the season on a high note.

1st up was floor. She did a nice routine but had a few little stumbles. She scored a 9.1.
2nd was vault and she got her highest score of the season a 9.125
3rd bars. She did not hit her handstands (which has been an ongoing thing with her) but the routine looked decent. She got a 8.75
4th beam. I couldn't watch because I was so nervous but she rocked it and scored a 9.275.

She placed on all events and finished 4th All round with a 36.250

The best part is that she made Regionals!!!!!! They took the top 23 girls (in all age divisions combined) and she managed to squeek in . LOL!! She is super excited. We go to Mississippi on April 16-18.

I have a video but can't figure out how to put the link in my sig.

Congrats to her! What a tough region you are in. Weird how the different regions have different qualifying methods. In our region (I think) you just have to score 34.00AA at States to qualify. Your region's method seems much tougher. Good luck to her at Regionals!!!

Is your video on YouTube? If so, just post the link on the thread and we can see it. :) Otherwise, go to UserCP and you can edit your signature and put your YouTube address in there. If it isn't up on a site like YouTube or Vimeo though, don't think we can watch it.

I really don't like how they do it either.. This is only the 2nd year ( I think) that they are doing L7 regionals. There were 135 girls competing and they only tokk the top 23. It's a small miracle that she qualified. LOL!

for L8 out of 65 girls they took the top 29. 4 of our 8's made it.

Congrats to her on making it! How many Regions are having 7s go?? And I, too, dislike your states method of determining who makes Regionals--seems unfair if one gym or whatever is heavily stacked with really good girls (or like one gym in our area--girls who are held back levels so they score really well).

I am in Region 8. I wonder if we are the only region.

Speaking of holding back, I am pretty sure that our Gym is going to hold Morgan back. I am not happy about it. She is keeping all of her 8's back (except 2) and from what I understand is only moving 4 7's. (all 2nd yrs) her reasoning for Morgan is that she is young and there is no reason to rush and as long as she is at L 9/10 by the time she is in 9th grade then all will be fine. She is making her final decision in August, so maybe things will change.
She has all of her 8 skills on Floor and beam. She started flipping Tsuks into the PIT last week and started working straddle backs yesterday. Anyway, I guess I will wait and see and then decide whether or not to fight it.

congrats on making it to regionals... our region is the same way... only a percent from each age group gets to go depending on #'s. In Texas out of 44 or 45
(I believe) only 22 gets to go in the 8-11 yr old age group. We have our state this weekend and I'm really nervous!!! LOL

I am in Region 8. I wonder if we are the only region.

Speaking of holding back, I am pretty sure that our Gym is going to hold Morgan back. I am not happy about it. She is keeping all of her 8's back (except 2) and from what I understand is only moving 4 7's. (all 2nd yrs) her reasoning for Morgan is that she is young and there is no reason to rush and as long as she is at L 9/10 by the time she is in 9th grade then all will be fine. She is making her final decision in August, so maybe things will change.
She has all of her 8 skills on Floor and beam. She started flipping Tsuks into the PIT last week and started working straddle backs yesterday. Anyway, I guess I will wait and see and then decide whether or not to fight it.

In my limited experience, the bars skills are what holds people back the most. If she gets her tsuk and straddle back, they should move her up--she'd be bored otherwise.

You know what's funny, about 85% of the girls that I watched compete at the Sate meet in L8 didn't even do straddle backs, they just did pirouettes.

I am not going to worry about it. They are going to do what they want and in the end we all know that I really don't have much say. LOL

Well first CONGRATS to her on her great performance! We have 4 level 7 girls from our gym going to Tupelo and they are SO excited. It is a big accomplishment for sure!

That said, I cannot imagine them holding your DD back. I mean, she's young, but she's also talented...and I'd imagine she'd rather move up and learn new things? I mean, making regionals with a great AA score and holding her back??? Not cool...but I understand the not being able to do a thing about it because our gym has crazy requirements to move up, too.:confused:

Hope you have a great trip and she does fabulously well!

Well first CONGRATS to her on her great performance! We have 4 level 7 girls from our gym going to Tupelo and they are SO excited. It is a big accomplishment for sure!

Thanks. She is super excited. Are you at one of the Charleston Gyms? Two of the girls from one of those gyms (I don't kow which) were cabin mates with Morgan last summer at Flip Fest. She was excited to see them again and to get to go to MS with them as well.

Congratulations to Morgan on qualifying to Regionals and for having a great State meet! Good luck in the upcoming weeks... :D

Congrats on a successful state meet! We don't even have level 7 regionals in our region but I know the 8s are determined by the top 7 AA scores and then a percentage of the rest of the girls. It's tough in the states where there are a lot of good Level 8s because some girls with 37s at States don't make it to Regionals but if you are in a state with very few Level 8s in your age group, they all make it regardless of the AA (I saw 2 girls make Level 8 regionals last week with an AA of 30 and 31!!) ...there should be a minimum cutoff like the Level 9s and 10s..they need a 34 to qualify to Regionals.

As far as moving up to level 8, you don't need a straddle back and a pirouette will fulfill the requirements so if she HAS the straddle back , I would think she would move. I never bought into holding kids back because of their age...if they have the skills, move them. As one prior poster said though, it is the bar skills that will hold up progression in the higher levels;it's just a whole different ballgame when it comes to big release moves and such...the skills are just harder..so don't be discouraged and enjoy your regional experience. Where in Mississippi is this meet?

As one prior poster said though, it is the bar skills that will hold up progression in the higher levels;it's just a whole different ballgame when it comes to big release moves and such...the skills are just harder..so don't be discouraged and enjoy your regional experience. Where in Mississippi is this meet?

I am not too worried about the move up. She has plenty of time to get where she is going. I just find their reasoning weird, but it's not the first time they've done something that I didn't get and I am sure it won't be the last. :) They are going to make final determinations in August so who knows how it will all turn out. After watching L8 this year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for her to spend another year in L7

The regionals are in Tupelo, MS.

We went to Tupelo last year for Level 9 Easterns and it actually was quite nice. Did the whole Graceland tour because we flew into Memphis (half the price of flying into Tupelo) and Tupelo was only about an hour south of the airport on one highway so it was easy. Lots of new hotels and stuff in the area so you should have fun.

We went to Tupelo last year for Level 9 Easterns and it actually was quite nice. Did the whole Graceland tour because we flew into Memphis (half the price of flying into Tupelo) and Tupelo was only about an hour south of the airport on one highway so it was easy. Lots of new hotels and stuff in the area so you should have fun

I am glad to know someone who''s been there. i was wondering what it was like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back