Staying at camp multiple weeks? Experience?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Do any of you or your DD's (Or DS) have experience staying at a larger gymnastics camp for multiple weeks?

I might be staying 2-3 weeks this summer and would love any advice, experience, dos and don'ts, etcc...

We had a couple of gymnasts that loved the camp they went to so much, that they would stay 3 weeks. I think they did the camp for a couple of weeks, then were volunteers for the third week.

They didn't do this the first year they went, they just went for a week the first couple of years, then once they knew everything about the camp, they wanted to spend more time there.

Only thing was, the coach wasn't to thrilled with them gone for so long

When we did camp, we did multiple weeks and I can tell you that the type of schedule that worked best for us was to go to camp for a week, go home for a few weeks and then return for a week. We did do the 2 weeks in a row one year and it was awful.. maybe it was the fatigue of the whole first week into the second but that scenario wasn't the most pleasurable for us. On the other hand , when we went for the one week, went home for a few weeks and went back again, the excitement of going back to camp was there and they had a much better time and got more out of it.

We also did the separate weeks at camp thing. Sometimes you get injured in the first week and the second is a waste. As Bookworm says, camp is exhausting and fun and can be just too much for two or three weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it made more sense to do it that way. I was nervous about staying that many weeks in a row (Without a cell phone...which is almost like a comfort issue for me)
So I think I've worked it out to go a week at the beginning of June and then another week 6 weeks later.

I do think this will be the best for me. I only train 3-5 hours a week so all those hours at camp + a second week in a row could really do some damage. I think my body will need the break in between.

So thanks all!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back